• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to teaching

As a lot of you know i have recently gained my shodan back in may. I have been teaching the beginners and although i enjoy it i find it hard. I have moments where i find myself just stood there thinking "erm". And you tend to get them constantly asking you for a drink or to go to the toilet, and sometimes they mis-behave or chatter. I think a lot of it id to do with them knowing i am new to teaching and also new to shodan and so they think they can get away with more.

Any tips on how i can make a class fun and at the same time be in control of the 'naughty' one's. Anything will be appreciated.

Cheers guys

Kez x :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Kez i teach a youth class so i get all the hellions from about age 4-15(oh yeah, its a blast and a half!) As far as the whole drink and potty thing, we just make them do pushups when we get back ten for the first kid 15 for the next 20 for the next 30 for the next, etc. so eventually the appeal for getting that drink or using the toilet is lost. and also to gain that respect youre looking for, and try not to be the complete bad guy at the same time, i read our 'rules and protocol' sheet to them out-loud every now and again and at the end i remind them, these arent my rules, these are the rules and have been the rules for the art that we study longer than any of you can imagine and it usually keeps them behaving for about a week or two, at which point you just read it again! but to make forms fun i add a small twist that makes it still a learning experience but, something new...i blindfold them with their own belt and ask them to perform their form. its fun and challenging. chattering can be brought to an end to just loudly say the child's name and give them a look, the whole class will recognize that this child is misbehaving and it will embarass the child so as it wont happen again. hope any of this helps, let me know if you have more questions, the kids are a tough age group!

Its all about the voice.

I teach public High School as well as Coach HS sports and teach karate the thing is if you use your voice and show that you have confidence in what your teaching those things take care of themselves. If you are slow and not sure of yourself then they see it as weakness.

Best way to build that self confidence in teaching is jsut teach the basics. You can't go wrong with basicis. When I break in new peopel to teach I give them exactly what I want them to cover. You can't build rome in one day. Teach it loud and proud and be clear and you little prob. will disappear.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

A few tips

1. Command respect without causing fear

This is easier said then done. However it does involve your voice as G95Champ said. Speak with a commanding but not intimidating voice. It also involves your body language. Your body language must say "I am in charge, I know what I’m doing, and you cannot get away with anything". This means back straight, shoulders up, walk with confidence, look students in the eye. Use your facial expressions as well. Smiling at new students, smile at students who are behaving, smile when they try hard. When they are doing otherwise look at them in such a way that says "Shape up, I’m disappointed"

2. You must have a "reaction plan"

This means what you do when a situation occurs. I suggest you create a reaction plan for each situation you regularly come across. Reaction plans should include first having an idea of why the students generally behave in that specific manner. As a new instructor the main reason will be control. Another reason generally seen in MA classes is for attention. Students who misbehave in order to have control need the harshest reactionary technique. They MUST learn that they are in fact NOT in control of the class. This usually involves push-ups. As a note, when I give push-ups, if a student argues or grumbles or anything, I increase the number (based on the age and rank of the student). If they continue to grumble or complain, I increase it again, and warn them that if they don't do it without complaints, arguments, whining or grumbling (whichever they are doing) then I will continue to increase. The most I’ve ever had to increase was 3 times. This lets them know that you are the one in charge and they can’t get away with anything. The other main reason why students may misbehave is for attention. If someone is misbehaving for attention, the best thing you can do is NOT give them any attention, then when they begin to behave immediately give them attention. If their misbehavior is distracting other students then they will get the attention they desire. So you should then sit them out of the class, and make sure they are in a position to not distract anyone but themselves. A third thing you should consider is that they might be misbehaving because of lack of understanding or communication. They may not understand what you are asking of them, or they may have a problem and not know how to bring it up to you.

3. You must have a "preventative plan"

This is more important then the reactionary plan. If your preventative plan is well thought out and well executed, you will rarely have to execute your reactionary plan. A preventative plan is what you will do to prevent the situations from occurring, when you are a new teacher, or when a student is a new student, you will probably have to use the reactionary plan a number of times before the preventative plan will start to work, don't give up on your preventative plans though. Consistency is always key in managing a martial arts class, or any other class for that matter. For students who wish control, give them alternate methods of having control. For instance give them times when they may choose a technique, either for themselves or for the class. Make sure you do not favor students however. Another thing is to let them know that they are in charge of making sure that they get the most of any exercise you give out. Students who wish attention, give them appropriate leadership positions. For instance let them stand in front of the class during warm-ups or when doing techniques. This will give them an appropriate outlet for the attention they seek. Again don't favor students. Another method that might work is to compliment students who are behaving near them; this will let the attention seeker know that they will get more attention for behaving then not. Remember to be consistent, if you compliment other students for behaving, you must also compliment the attention seeker for behaving, or it will mean nothing. For students who misbehave because of lack of understanding you need to make sure that you are very clear in your instructions. (But don't make instructions too long, or students will blank out or misbehave). Also make sure that you regularly speak with each student before and after class, so that if they have any problems they can bring it up to you before they disturb the class or quit.

4. Compliments

Whenever a student is doing well, compliment them. Focus on the students weaknesses, both behaviorally and technique wise. For instance if a person moves slowly to their place. Compliment others for moving quickly (SPECIFY) and then when the student who regularly moves slowly moves quickly, compliment them immediately. If a student regularly talks in class, compliment others being quiet, and whenever the student is quiet then compliment them for it. If a student is usually distracted, compliment others for paying attention or for listening, and then compliment the distracted student when they pay attention. Do this for all behavioral problems. Make sure that your compliments are sincere and specific. If they are not, students will have no desire for the compliments, and/or will not know what it is that you are complimenting them about. This means saying EXACTLY what it is that you like about what they are doing. This means smiling! When complimenting technique, again be specific! If for instance you tell a student to rechamber their leg in a side kick. Compliment the efforts you see to rechamber. Be genuinely excited and enthusiastic about their progress. Along the same lines, don't continuously tell a student they are doing something wrong. If you already told them they need to rechamber their leg, telling them over and over again won't make them suddenly get it; it will just make them angry or frustrated. Thing of a new way to get the same concept through. Also be specific about what you want changed. Don't just say "make your side kick better" be specific! Tell them WHAT is wrong and HOW to fix it. Give them solutions, not just problems.

This is all I got for now.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Wow these are great, thanks guys. Yes we have mainly kids in the beginners. I actually made a big blunder the other day, i was going through heian godan and i had a mental block and forgot the next move, it was definatly down to nerves, and the kids laughed :o It was embarrasing but i took it with a pinch of salt.

I like the idea of blindfolding them while they do their kata, that should be fun, and also the idea of having a gameplan (so to speak), i had thought about taking the grading syllabus with me next time. It's been such a long time since i graded for these belts i can't remember their required combinations.

And the voice thing....yes i totally agree. My friend is a red belt and he was amongst the one's i was teaching. He said he could barely hear what i was saying, so yes i need to raise my voice a little. I love it when it's a mixed bunch of kids and adults, because the adults put the effort in and don't react that its me teaching, they just treat me as any other instructor, sometimes the kids follow that.

Oh and there is a good thing from all this. I was teaching last wednesday and one of the kids called me sensei...i tell you i was proud as punch :D

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

One of the hardest things about teaching is learning to think on your feet. Sometimes, you will get students who don't understand what you are saying to them, although it may be clear to you. You have to be able to change your approach in an instant, so that you can reach the other students as well. This comes with time and practice.

As for the ones who want to go to the bathroom, or get drinks; just don't let them! Make them stay and work. They will get the picture.

One thing that can help you is having a class planner. Write down what you want to work on that day, for how long, and what methods and drills you want to do. This gets easier with time, as well.

Good luck to you, Kez! I am sure you will be just fine! :karate:

Remember: Teaching is learning; learning is teaching!

As for the ones who want to go to the bathroom, or get drinks; just don't let them! Make them stay and work. They will get the picture.

You cannot forbid little children from going to the toilet. Firstly it's just not right (they have smaller bladders than us) and secondly it will be you that has to clear up the mess when you find the one's that REALLY did need to go to the toilet. Instead you have to find ways to discourage toilet breaks, and also ask beforehand if everyone has gone to the toilet.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

You cannot forbid little children from going to the toilet. Firstly it's just not right (they have smaller bladders than us) and secondly it will be you that has to clear up the mess when you find the one's that REALLY did need to go to the toilet. Instead you have to find ways to discourage toilet breaks, and also ask beforehand if everyone has gone to the toilet.

this goes two ways, yes martial arts instructors can deny potty breaks, even i do. but i did have one child actually pee on the floor during my class one day, no fault of my own actually, believe it or not i asked him multiple times if he needed to go! anyway, you can tell when a kid truly needs to go to the bathroom and when they do not, once over the age of 7 they should be able to hold it so, dont let em. but there are some kids that you can see it in their eyes and posture...LET THEM GO!!!haha trust me you'll thank yourself later. like i said previously i discourage potty breaks by adding the pushups on once they return. also each time someone asks me i ask them in a stern loud voice..."now why didnt we go before class???" and when i get a blank scared stare thats when i go..."go quickly, bow in and bow out or your dead. 20 pushups on the way back in!" also heres another hint, if the same child asks, every other class to go to the bathroom around the same time every class, they are just going for the fun of it, start cutting back.

this goes two ways, yes martial arts instructors can deny potty breaks, even i do. but i did have one child actually pee on the floor during my class one day, no fault of my own actually, believe it or not i asked him multiple times if he needed to go! anyway, you can tell when a kid truly needs to go to the bathroom and when they do not, once over the age of 7 they should be able to hold it so, dont let em. but there are some kids that you can see it in their eyes and posture...LET THEM GO!!!haha trust me you'll thank yourself later. like i said previously i discourage potty breaks by adding the pushups on once they return. also each time someone asks me i ask them in a stern loud voice..."now why didnt we go before class???" and when i get a blank scared stare thats when i go..."go quickly, bow in and bow out or your dead. 20 pushups on the way back in!" also heres another hint, if the same child asks, every other class to go to the bathroom around the same time every class, they are just going for the fun of it, start cutting back.

On the whole I agree with you, especially about discouraging the toilet breaks, BUT I cannot condone not allwoing a child go to the toilet - even if you know that they are just trying you on. If I was a parent and I sent a child to karateI would be extremely unhappy if I came to collect him/her and found they had wet themselves because the instructor had forbidden them the right to go to the toilet. As a child I had repeated Kidney infections and as such some days I would need to go to the toilet all the time. If someone had not allowed me I would wet myself.

The best way is to give push ups or something, but do not do it as a punishment. Instead say that it is because they missed out on what the class did and so need to catch up (or something similar). That way children that genuinely feel that they need to go to the toilet won't feel victimised for doing something that is a natural thing to do!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

The thing is, if you constantly allow them to go to the bathroom all of the time, then you will never have a focused class because you will have kids going to the bathroom all of the time. One will go and come back, and then another goes. I have seen this from the outside looking in, and the inside looking out. Kids try us; that is a fact. You mention finding ways to discourage toilet breaks: denying them is a good way to discourage them.

It should be established before the kids sign up that toilet breaks should be done prior to coming to class. I honestly don't think that kindey infections are going to be that big of a deal, coming from an hour long class and not using the bathroom. As TangSooDoGuru mentioned, you can really tell with the ones who are serious. In that case, you let them go. But when it continues to happen, something has to be done.