• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Front/Side split

Kante

According to Thomas Kurz, the only time you should stretch before activites is when you need your full range of motion for the activity (like martial arts, kicks in particular). For this, you should do dynamic stretches (not the strech & hold thing, which he generally disdains anyway).

For all other activities (like lifting, running, cycling), you should warm up before the activity, but not stretch. Stretching before an activity weakens the muscles, leading to increased risk of injury. The time to stretch is after an activity, when your muscles are warm.

I would expect that the original poster was able to do the split because he (or she) was already warmed up & therefore more flexible than normal. The reason he hurt the next day is because he injured the muscles stretching them too much.

The best stretches to increase your range of motion are "isometric stretches." These involve tensing & relaxing the muscles being stretched, and work wonderfully, but are quite difficult to do (at least for me).

Well sadly I've only found out about Thomas Kurz and started reading his columns way after that incident.

I'd love to get a hold of his dvd but I don't really see that happening.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Stretching before an activity weakens the muscles, leading to increased risk of injury.

I had heard someone in the gym the other day actually stating the above fact. I wondered about it, but I guess it makes sense.

I agree here. I never stretch before a run! But I do stretch lightly before kicking. To increase my flexibility I use stretching sessions where all I do is warm up and stretch-no kicking, etc.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/