• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

...But, In Boxing, KBoxing, MT, whatever... why do many people only learn to fight in one stance, IE Right or Left [or south paw... whatever]?

I personally believe in learning/training in both stance, not only does it get my skill level; up, but switching around in fights can confuse oppenents etc...

Anyway, What are peoples opinions on this, and what do you train as left, right or both?

Thanks

Willing - Believing - Achieving

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I train with a right hand/orthodox stance. I would guess that training in both is uncommon because while it can mess up your opponent, it can also mess you up; it makes keeping your balance harder, it can make your responses a little slower, make ranging more difficult, etc. For all the opponent-confusing value it has, you still have to land good shots and avoid those of your opponent. Having said all that, I do think training in your non-preferred stance to some degree is a good idea, just in case you ever find the need to use it.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

I think the reason it's taught to focus on one stance is the idea of putting your power side in the back. (If your right handed, you'll generate more power if your left foot is forward). I think a lot of boxing trainers feel that "switching" is a waste of time and energy. Given the confines of the rules of boxing, learning to switch would mean changing focus (ie. doubling your workout). Most trainers would consider that unproductive.

In the era of MMA (where fighters are in many different positions) learning to fight on both sides is much more valueable.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Personally being that my training is geared towards self protection, i train both. The situation will dictate what position you are in initially, so skills with either side forward are crucial. Although if you are training specifically for competition, it may be more beneficial early on to focus on one side forward and be comfortable with that first.

I think the reason it's taught to focus on one stance is the idea of putting your power side in the back. (If your right handed, you'll generate more power if your left foot is forward). I think a lot of boxing trainers feel that "switching" is a waste of time and energy. Given the confines of the rules of boxing, learning to switch would mean changing focus (ie. doubling your workout). Most trainers would consider that unproductive.

In the era of MMA (where fighters are in many different positions) learning to fight on both sides is much more valueable.

I think that thats exactly it,

personally:

I naturally train both as I write with my left hand and do everything else with my right, so either or are equally comfortable.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• 2 weeks later...

You start out in one stance and eventually...usually a few years later get proficient in the other stance. Every instructor in the association I learned under(m.t.i.a./"master toddy's")can fight in both stances.

Karate without bareknuckle kumite(kyokushin/knockdown rules)is dancing. Karate without kata isn't Karate.

BTW, I'm a horrible dancer.

• 4 weeks later...

1. efficiency. when you are training to fight and fight well against others who are training to beat you, you don't have time to hone everything on both sides.

2. principle. Boxers fight with the power side back - you only have one power side.

if you wish, you can train to switch sides - some do. But the primary stance is power side back.

• 2 weeks later...
But the primary stance is power side back.

That depends. Bruce Lee liked his power side forward - the straight lead. He believed that was the side that would get the most work, therefore you should put your strong power side toward the opponent. I train both stances, but when I'm tired it is natural for me to switch to power side forward.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Most of the techniques at my school are taught in one stance, but on my own time I try to practice them on both. Most of the basic strikes are taught on both sides however at my school.