• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you train more without getting sore?

samoht

To echo Tiger1962,

Part of MA training is learning self-discipline. That is the ability to tell yourself "NO" and make it stick. :) This is especially hard when you really want something and it seems just outside your grasp.

I agree with the others, sounds like a classic case of overtraining. The first step of training is to discover your limits (which I think you've now done :) ). The second step is to GRADUALLY push back those limits and that takes time, regardless of how frustrating that may be. :(

I'd counsel you to back off a bit. You have plenty of time and MA isn't going anywhere. Secondly, the way you're going you'll probably injure yourself fairly soon and then you won't be able to train at all. Relax a bit and enjoy the ride and, interestingly enough, overall you'll probably find you'll progress faster.

Hope this helps. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 to 4 times a week? That seems low but I dunno, I'm pretty new. I go 5 days a week to class and I pretty much have to since there's only 2 of us in class, can't leave sensei there alone. Plus I have to do the stretching and kicks and kata's at home. I just made up a daily schedule which looks pretty do-able. Maybe I'm doing too much but it still seems so little.

It's much more complex than that. As with any new training your body has to have time to adapt to the new stresses. Your instructor may work out more frequently / intensely but he's been doing this type of training for years.

As mentioned above, adaptation happens during recovery, not during exercise. Thus, assuming you're not going real hard core, you should at least have 24 hours rest between workouts (i.e. a day of rest in between). Thus, roughly 3 times per week (i.e. one day on , one day off = 6 days per week). If you are working hard core then 48 hours (i.e. 2 days rest in between).

If you're working one on one, then ask your instructor to mix up the workouts. For example, do a class of technique / sparring, then a class of kata, then a class using equipment (e.g. bag / mitt work). By mixing up the work, you won't be using the same muscle groups in the same way day after day. Working one on one probably means you're actually working far more intensely than if you were in a regular class, as there will probably be far less down time and you won't be able to do the various things students do to rest during the workout (e.g. not putting 100% into every move :) ).

Thus, you probably don't need to do much additional work at home right now. Better is to use that time for your body to recover. If you come to class rested and can be focused because your body isn't aching / not up to the tasks, then I think you'll find you'll progress faster than driving yourself so hard to learn it all right now. Good MA is much more difficult to learn than folks realize, as it has lots of very complex, very dynamic integrated body movements, most of which are put together (e.g. sparring) in non repetitive ways, thus additionally requiring a serious constant mental focus not required in most other sports (e.g. basketball, where most of the action is simply running up and down the court, or moving around somewhat while watching the action on the other side of the court (no disparagement meant to all the basketball fans / players out there :) )).

So, give yourself some time. As you toughen to the work, your output will increase and you'll be able to do more. All in good time. :)

Hope this helps.

Actually that is really helpful. It's kinda hard because sensei says "practice this at home" and I feel I must do as he says to be a good student, but I like your idea of working up to the point where I can work out more often. I don't want to burn out. It's a hard balance.

3 to 4 times a week? That seems low but I dunno, I'm pretty new. I go 5 days a week to class and I pretty much have to since there's only 2 of us in class, can't leave sensei there alone. Plus I have to do the stretching and kicks and kata's at home. I just made up a daily schedule which looks pretty do-able. Maybe I'm doing too much but it still seems so little.

That must be pretty nice to be able to go to class 5 days a week. I get 2 at my TKD school, and one Aikido, if I'm having a good week. With the Hapkido session, I might get 4 training sessions in a week.

You're right, it is a hard balance. One function of "practice this at home" is to help build muscle memory. You can still work out at home but, at this stage, just "walk through" the motions. Keep the pace slow, the kicks low and don't put a lot of effort into it. Instead focus on the body mechanics of getting the body positioning correct, the joints to move smoothly, in the right order and get the balance right (which is much harder to do slow, as you can't use speed and force to cheat. :) ) The point is don't strain. At this stage, this type of action will help keep your body supple while still letting your body recover from your regular workouts.

Bottom line is that one of the learning aspects of MA is to learn to listen to your body and understand its limits. Ultimately only you can know how your body works. Until you get this understanding, try to be a bit gentle with yourself. :)

Hope this helps.

Yeah, you are giving really good advice. I understand the part about learning to listen to my body. I've been really hungry all the time lately so I'm trying to eat more and drink lots of water.

Thanks for all this help. Now that you mention it I do remember sensei saying to do the moves slow at home, gotta learn to listen better too!

Actually that is really helpful. It's kinda hard because sensei says "practice this at home" and I feel I must do as he says to be a good student, but I like your idea of working up to the point where I can work out more often. I don't want to burn out. It's a hard balance.

You're not alone. I have a hard time with "practicing at home" too. I don't have that luxury because my schedule just doesn't permit it, so I have to make the most of what I learn and do IN class.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

When I first started off I could only work out three days a week, now I work out seven days a week for three hours a day doing martial arts and weight lifting and ab work.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• 1 month later...