• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strength

Nometry

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The unfortunate thing here is that you really can't hurry this along. Why the rush, anyways? Just get a program going, eat right, and hit the gym regularly. You will get stronger with time.

Pretty much the only way to get stronger is to work out. Do compound lifts to failure.

As mentioned, you will have to eat plenty, as well.

Don't forget squats - they help upper body strength as well. The #1 lift for egtting stronger.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

Eat a lot of protein and work out- really I suggest you talk to your doctor. He/She should have some suggestions for your body type specifically.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• 1 month later...

Definitely don't blow money asking a doc how to increase your bench press, they don't know that. :roll: A good way I've found to do it, is bench twice a week. First day, do heavy flat bench, 3x3 or 5x5, followed by speed bench 8x3, 50% of max. Then on the other bench day of the week, pick a couple assistance exercises and go 3x8 for hypertrophy. I'd go with close grip bench and overhead press, to build the triceps and delt strength.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, yea: steroids. Of course, using steroids will almost certainly harm your body, perhaps even your mind. So why mention them? To make a point. The mindset of "getting as big/strong as possible, as fast as possible" is usually the wrong one, for many reasons.

First of all, even doing it naturally, bulking up quickly always causes athletic ability to suffer. Being a martial arts forum, I assume you do martial arts. Therefor so called "athletic" performance ought to be more important a priority.

Also, the benchpress... It is by no means the most, or one of the most, important things for a martial artist. First, it wears down the rotator cuff when done with a barbell. Second, many people believe it helps punching power the most, but that is a myth. A punch, when properly thrown, is powered mostly by the legs. Then the core. Then the shoulders, and chest. Military presses would be more advantageous.

Anyway, my point here is not to insult you, but to point out a flaw I believe I see in your thinking. And, maybe, for others who have the same flaws in thinking.

Don't label. Just fight.