• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training at another dojo

I'll be vacationing w/family back home in Mass. for 8 days this summer. My training is going well here in VA and I don't want to miss too many workouts. I'm interested in training at another school while up there but not sure of the proper way to ask the head instructor at the school. Also, do I offer to pay a drop fee for attending.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice is appreciated

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just go in and ask. Of course, you should offer some sort of compensation.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

It's only 8 days, so part of me says to just take the time off and enjoy your vacation. :)

But, if you want to train, maybe you could ask your current instructor for a recommendation? Depending on the size of the art, etc., he may know someone that he could call and set you up with to keep your training somewhat consistent. I'm not a martial artist, though, so I'm not sure how feasible that actually is. :)

Its a good idea if you ask your current instructor if he has any contacts, that way you will probably be taught the same sorta things. But like Patrick said, it is only 8 days so I don't think that is going to affect you too greatly. You could always practise alone too. Maybe some forms (if you do them) or some sort of cardio workout on your own should be good enough.

Enjoy your vacation! 8)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

It's only 8 days, so part of me says to just take the time off and enjoy your vacation. :)

But, if you want to train, maybe you could ask your current instructor for a recommendation? Depending on the size of the art, etc., he may know someone that he could call and set you up with to keep your training somewhat consistent. I'm not a martial artist, though, so I'm not sure how feasible that actually is. :)

You are on the money here, Patrick. Talking to your instructor may help you get something set up.

The other suggestions here are good ones, too. Taking the time off may actually help you out more than the training.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and will talk to my instructor next week for a recommandation. As far as not training at all during vacation, if I were in my 20's or 30's, I'd take the time off and enjoy myself. But, at 41, I'd enjoy myself just as much working out and learning something new from another school. Plus, were I grew up is in the city and there appears to be a number of schools within a mile or two where I'll be staying. So, why not. I was just curious to the right, professional approach to another school and if i should offer $$ for short-term training.

Again, thank you for your help.

DO

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and will talk to my instructor next week for a recommandation. As far as not training at all during vacation, if I were in my 20's or 30's, I'd take the time off and enjoy myself. But, at 41, I'd enjoy myself just as much working out and learning something new from another school. Plus, were I grew up is in the city and there appears to be a number of schools within a mile or two where I'll be staying. So, why not. I was just curious to the right, professional approach to another school and if i should offer $$ for short-term training.

Again, thank you for your help.

DO

Don't know if you got my PM, I was just wondering who you train with in NOVA....

What I used to do is this: if I went out of town to a new area, I would practice on my own, especially since I was never gone for more than a week. However, I would see what TKD schools were in the area and just drop in for a look-see. No uniform, just street clothes and stand in the back observing. More often than not, what I saw made me glad I practiced where I did. It also gave me more incentive to practice strong, because I did not want to end up like the schools I observed.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

If you want to train as a guest at another school, I would suggest going in street clothing, and inquiring if they allow "drop in" training, explaining that you're visiting from out of town, and would like to take some extra classes while you're there. Some schools allow "drop ins", others don't.

If you don't find a school that allows "drop ins" I'd suggest at least doing your stretching, even if you can't actually get in some real practice. Then, when you get home, you won't feel like you've stiffened up.

what goes around, comes around