• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Am I too impatient?

that means that you are either learning too quickly and getting bored or you definitely are too impatient and u get lost with ease.

which one are you?

I am not sure that this is necessarily the case, when people ask questions about things. When it comes to clarifying how something is done, I think it is important to ask questions, to make sure you do it the proper way. I think that it shows a healthy willingness to grow in the Martial Arts.

if you ask something you dont understand, you are asking to learn, if you already learned something and you ask for more material, you are thirsty to learn more- you are getting bored with your current class; you talk to ur instructor about more stuff or special tutoring.

asking constantly whether you are doing something right means you dont believe in what you are doing(Could also mean a lack in self-steem or confidence) or you are not really sure of your material ; u get a notebook and shortly after class, u copy down whatever new material you have come across.

I'm not saying asking is not healthy, but if you are asking questions frequently while others are not, take a look at yourself to see if its really a question for yourself or for the teacher.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where you are coming from, but I still don't really agree. If you have questions, I think you should ask. I think it means that you want to be sure. I don't think it means anything negative about the personality of the person, or their lack of ability to perform and learn, in my opinion.

It could just be that you are more aware than other students. Often in the beginning stages students will be shown a technique and there will be the basic explanation, but obviously you don't flood them with detail. There will be some that understand what they are shown but not told; some that see it but don't fully understand it (hence the need for questions); and the majority who will miss it until later in the training when their minds are ready to accept it as they have moved on in the competancy.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I agree that students should ask questions but the instructor should answer them appropriate to the students skill level and ability. Sometime it is a fine line between motivating a student by giving them more techniques and risking injury or burnout when they are not ready.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I always think asking good questions is part of wanting to be your best. However, if questioning when you can be shown something more advanced before really learning what you have been shown, may give your instructor the idea that you are rank hungry, (which you might not be at all.) I know i was, until purple belt when had I decided to video tape my kata and techniques I had learned. I was shocked and embarrassed when I watched the tape. I was lacking true technique and knowledge of even the basics. I then decided to relearn and retrain from white belt and no longer care about rank. Learn everything you can about what you have been shown. Be patient for what you will be given by your instructor. It is worth the wait!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I always think asking good questions is part of wanting to be your best. However, if questioning when you can be shown something more advanced before really learning what you have been shown, may give your instructor the idea that you are rank hungry, (which you might not be at all.) I know i was, until purple belt when had I decided to video tape my kata and techniques I had learned. I was shocked and embarrassed when I watched the tape. I was lacking true technique and knowledge of even the basics. I then decided to relearn and retrain from white belt and no longer care about rank. Learn everything you can about what you have been shown. Be patient for what you will be given by your instructor. It is worth the wait!

If my questions are a problem, in any kind of way, it's probably in this way. I am not thirsty for new ranks. I'm thirsty for new techniques. I can see how that problem with getting sloppy basics, like Stances, can become the results of this. But I have always been in a hurry to learn this and that in things that interest me a lot. Such as MA ;-). But I also learned from most of the schools I've been in, that if you dont take your training into your own hands (such as asking for more) you might end up advancing very very slowly.

As an example of this is in the Shaolin school I was in a while ago. I saw some students who had been training in there for 3 years and they still hadn't learned the second form of the style. They were the ones that didn't ask questions.

If my questions are a problem, in any kind of way, it's probably in this way. I am not thirsty for new ranks. I'm thirsty for new techniques. I can see how that problem with getting sloppy basics, like Stances, can become the results of this. But I have always been in a hurry to learn this and that in things that interest me a lot. Such as MA ;-). But I also learned from most of the schools I've been in, that if you dont take your training into your own hands (such as asking for more) you might end up advancing very very slowly.

As an example of this is in the Shaolin school I was in a while ago. I saw some students who had been training in there for 3 years and they still hadn't learned the second form of the style. They were the ones that didn't ask questions.

sloppy teaching, not sloppy learning. if you need to constantly ask questions, u were probably taught wrong.

as for techniques- ask for new techniques when you are completely sure you have a pretty good understanding of the techniques that you have already learned.

Kajukenbo as I am taught has a lot of self defense techniques, as you progress, you get more techniques. Ive seen people asking for more techniques because they felt they wanted to go faster in their learning; their basics were lacking, the postures were horrible,etc, although they had a basic idea of the technique, they didnt fully understand them or practice them how they should.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

sloppy teaching, not sloppy learning. if you need to constantly ask questions, u were probably taught wrong.

Thats obvious. But in asking questions, I'll make sure that I will advance in case the teacher is teaching slowly. Making sure that I dont end up studying a long time with little advancement.

as for techniques- ask for new techniques when you are completely sure you have a pretty good understanding of the techniques that you have already learned.
I dont think it's a problem with learning new techniques when you still havent understood the other techniques you do know. It will all come in due time. Just because you havent understood a few movements in one section of a form doesn't mean that you will never understand it if you learn one more section.
Kajukenbo as I am taught has a lot of self defense techniques, as you progress, you get more techniques. Ive seen people asking for more techniques because they felt they wanted to go faster in their learning; their basics were lacking, the postures were horrible,etc, although they had a basic idea of the technique, they didnt fully understand them or practice them how they should.
I am not only asking for new techniques. I'm also asking for improvement of the ones I already know. It's rare that I only ask one question to the teacher. And the basics will be learned eventually. Since you are doing them all the time in the lessons recieved. The teacher usually corrects you if you are doing something wrong.

After every one of my classes I always find myself the last one in the dojo doing the same thing. I always talk to my instructor after class. Sometimes I have questions on the material, and other times we just talk about martial arts in general.

This is something that will be hard to give a catch-all response to without knowing a few details. What are you wanting to ask? Why are you wanting to ask? What kind of reply do you get?

Example time.

If I were teaching you x and you kept asking about y and z, I would tell you to concerntrate on x. Teaching something that is fluid, dynamic and dependent on previously known and fully absorbed things such as it is in martial arts, there is no point knowing more if you don't actually know the things that go before. Remember that there is more to things that simply being to perform a move. Advancing in a martial art is much more than knowing form x,y and z.

If you can't even do a basic move properly and insintinctly, what's the point in teaching you more?

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much