• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cardio for someone that can't go on the machines at my gym.

I'm too young, so does anyone have any ideas. I have a big field right next to where I live and should I just run around it a lot. I'm overweight and trying to lose weight also.

Thanks for the help.

Those whose strength is not enough give up half way. You are now limiting yourself.-Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There's lots of different options out there. I've kind of lightened up on the running because it's hard on my knees, but that might not be an issue for you. You could see about finding a pool and swimming or riding a bike. Even a good hike through some hilly sections isn't too bad.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Begin by walking, and then working up to jogging. Try to do it for 20 to 30 minutes, non-stop. When it feels easy, you can either add more time, or increase your intensity level.

If you are a little overweight to begin with, it may be easier on your body to start with bike-riding. As long as you have a space to do it, it is a really good work-out without the stress on your knees.

Also, if you are young- no offense to you runners out there- you may want to do something more fun than running to help you enjoy the time more, and thus be more likely to stick with.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Begin by walking, and then working up to jogging. Try to do it for 20 to 30 minutes, non-stop. When it feels easy, you can either add more time, or increase your intensity level.

Walk for an hour straight, it will slowly build your stamina(walk fast).

eventually u will have enough strength to jog around for 5-10 minutes(in a couple of weeks)

then, jog for longer

set goals for walking and for jogging, if u want to drop weight, u are going to have to work that body.

Also, u could look up a balanced diet to help u shred the weight and keep energy up.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Even though my mum drops me off at college, I always make sure she drops me off about 1/2 a mile away so I can get a good walk in before I go. Maybe you could do something similar?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Be sure to monitor what you eat. Weight loss is mostly dictated by your diet. Exercise will get your cardio and muscular strenth/endurance up, but your diet will reduce the amount of body fat on you. The combination of the two will make you lean. This doesn't mean to skip meals or anything. Just eat a little less at each meal. Choose healthier foods and so on. I suggest consulting a registered dietitian about it or buy a book on the subject. Be careful not to get caught up in "fad diets." They don't work and are often detrimental to your body over long periods of time. It should be a life style change. Not something you do for a few weeks or months and then go back to your old ways. The advice everyone has given you on your cardio is fabulous. Take small steps at this and don't expect to lose everything at once. It will take time.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I agree, the key to weight loss is simple:

Calories in < Calories used = weight loss

There's various ways to do this, reduction through portion control, dietary modifications, exercise and building up your metabolism.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend swimming. It is one of the best forms of exercise there is, with the added bonus that it is no impact. So good exercise and kind to the joints... who could ask for more? :)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how old you are, but losing weight is 70% diet and 30% exercise. Also, cardio is not the best way to be losing weight. Sure, you can make it a point... but the best way to get and keep off fat is to have as much muscle as possible. Interval training, ballistic weight training (google "kettlebell swings"), things of that nature will help you drop fat better than jogging ever will. And eventually you will be in better shape internally than a marathon runner. But most importantly, get your diet right.