• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the journey I've begun...

turbo wrx

Hi. This is kind of like a journal entry, so you may laugh or get bored... :lol: :sleep:

I'm glad I made the decision to start Karate. I hope I can stick with it.

After starting, I became even more interested and started reading up on it, such as a brief history of Karate and some terminology. I've been trying to practice on my own and stretch out everyday to become more flexible (hopefully). I get so excited about Karate at work sometimes that I lose my focus on work. :P

I want to be able to defend myself. I want to feel safe and confident. I want to learn more advanced moves, but learning martial arts is a slow process that requires patience. :( Plus, I'm so out of shape and get so sore. I was getting out of breath early in the last class, and deep inside I wondered if I could go on. My legs are so sore right now. But I enjoy Karate. I can't give up yet. If I give up, I get nowhere. I know patience and perseverance can pay off.

"First you must know yourself. Then you can know others."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

All advanced moves are based on the foundation moves you must master every single one drill them to perfection then the advanced moves will come naturally fitness will come

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Glad you got started!

I'm a bit of a newbie too and I know the feeling, from the first two weeks especially, of *really* soar thighs. While I will still have some minor soarness from time to time it gets much better.

But what I find about doing this, (if one of your reasons for starting is a goal of "fitness") as opposed to just going to the gym.. I get much more mental stimulation which makes me keep going whereas if I were to get *that* soar going to the gym... I probably would have stopped long ago.

Also I know about the distraction part too.... here I sit almost 4 months from getting started and I still find myself comeing here and brousing around/posting and going to other sites while i very well should be working!! :dodgy: I hope this will eventually pass :weirdlook:

Good luck

Also I know about the distraction part too.... here I sit almost 4 months from getting started and I still find myself comeing here and brousing around/posting and going to other sites while i very well should be working!! :dodgy: I hope this will eventually pass :weirdlook:

Good luck

It won't..it only gets worse! :brow:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Good luck

8)

Hey, it has passed for me.... :D

I started 3 and 1/2 years ago. Haven't looked back since. I've seen big improvements in flexibility. I echo what Jay said about perfecting the basics. I can never get bored with practising them, I'm always trying to make them better, and it does make the more advanced techniques and combinations that much easier.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Since you mentioned in your post that one of the reasons that you started training in Karate is to be able to defend yourself, allow me to give you some advice.

Some Shotokan schools are heavily rooted in point based sparring and as a result are not as practical in terms of self defense techniques. The techniques do exist in Shotokan and are contained within the katas but not all schools teach them. If your school does not teach/employ these techniques during sparring on a regular basis, then you are missing a large piece of the art. If this is the case, you might want to find another school or ask your instructor what his or her teaching philosophy is, in this respect. It may be that they do indeed teach the techniques but only after some basic skills have been acquired.

Point based sparring has it's benefits and from a SD perspective has some really good long range techniques but lacks in other areas.

BTW, even after 11 years in Shotokan, I still get sore after a really hard workout!

KG

Good luck

8)

Hey, it has passed for me.... :D

Oh really...... :P ??

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/