• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different training order idea

vashogun

Just thought of something and I wanted to know what you guys think.

Ignore belt progression for a second. All dojo's teach things in different order. Well, while there are lots of functions, in karate there are usally three main parts to most karate training.

Kihon.

Kata.

Kumite.

For the beginer, is it a good idea to teach basic Kihon first, then kata, and then kumite, starting with ippon and moving up to free sparing? What affects, positive and negative, do you think this would have on the student?

I'm also thinking in Isshinryu terms, which has the advantage of the infamous charts 1 and 2. 1 being 15 basic Hand Techniques and chart 2 being 9 basic foot.

There would not be a stop and start kind of deal here. Once you had learned the kihon phase kata would be added on while you still reviewed the kihon and added techniques to your arsenal. and at Kumite, you would still practice the kata of course as well as the kihon. But I know a lot of schools introduce all three very quickly. You usally start with some kihon but within a class or two (from what I have seen) you are learning a kata and maybe even free sparing before your knowledge of basic technique is sound.

That doesn't mean that those students have not learned, but would the catch up period be easier, more effective, and less over whelming if it were done this way?

What do you think?

To preserve the enemies armies is best, to destroy their armies, second best.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think it all depends on approach, teaching methodology, and the ability level of the student. Each student will learn differently, and some will be more natural than others.

That said, I think that learning the basics is the best place to start. You have to crawl before you walk, and then you can work towards running. At my school, we spend almost every class on basics to start out, and then move into forms work. After a student has been through the Orientation, they get into class and do the basics, and then their first form afterward. Sparring usually doesn't come into play until the second belt level.

I boxing, they begin with the basic hand techniques, and then build from there. Most MA schoools I have been to do the same. But, sometimes instructors do things differently, and if it works for them, then that is great.

Welcome to the Forums! :karate:

I beleive in cycling through all three areas.

Teach the basic movements without resistance. Put the moves into sequence for Kata. Teach the kata applications. Transition to drills and sparring.

When having problems, figure out which level the problem comes from: Is it in the movement? Combining the movement? Or trying to spar?

So at any one given time, a student could be working on several techniques:

Learning a new kick (basics)

Refining an old technique to snap in forms (kata)

Applying another technique in bunkai/self-defense/fighting (kumite)

In my experience of TKD, Gen. Choi referred to the TKD cirlce, that fundamentals, forms, sparring, conditioning and self defense were all interconnected. As it was a circle you also had to revist each area over and over again, improving it before another area could improve. In a way it ends up more as a spiral as your knowledge expands. Before my 1st blackbelt grading I had to write a paper so I chose to argue where this circle begun. I put it down to fundamentals as hence their name, thay are fundamental. If I were to ever own my own school, I would probably teach techniques first but quickly move onto forms and then continue to cycle through until my student was able to control their own learning.

IMO this can be applied to any art as each MAist has to revise in order to improve and move up a level.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Nice, DWx. I think I have read on Choi's circle, but have forgotton about it since.

I agree, John. Teaching can be so rewarding. It makes the time you spend worth-while.