• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never wash the belt, never!!!!!!!!!!

Why not?!? Personally if you just soak it in cold water and leave it out to drip dry it doesn't shrink it. You're not of those people who believe that you wash away your knowledge are you?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

well i dont want to be the stickler but it is disrespectful to wash belts, and not traditional and stuff, but by all means go ahead it will definately soften it. but i had a stiff one, and the way to fix it is wear and tear, just wearing it constantly and also get a size bigger, that way it hangs down to the top of your knees and flows and moves, and also just messing around with it, rolling it, and i heard ironing it helps, i have never done it so i cant account for any bad things that could happen but good luck.

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

well i dont want to be the stickler but it is disrespectful to wash belts, and not traditional and stuff

You're entitled to your own opinion so fair enough.

Personally I'd feel it was more disrespectful turning up with my belt stinking of last weeks sweat and covered in God knows what from the gym floor. Having said that though, I don't wash my belt every time I train. I just make sure its clean by lightly sponging it down. It only ever really gets washed if it happens to get covered in blood or something (usually mine :( ).

As for washing them being not traditional I think that it is important to remember that hygiene has only been really valued in the last century or so. Even in the 18th century most people believed that infections weren't a result of dirt but other things such as the miasma. I'd prefer to turn up to training with a clean dobok and belt even though the old masters of centuries ago didn't.

well i dont want to be the stickler but it is disrespectful to wash belts, and not traditional and stuff

You're entitled to your own opinion so fair enough.

Personally I'd feel it was more disrespectful turning up with my belt stinking of last weeks sweat and covered in God knows what from the gym floor. Having said that though, I don't wash my belt every time I train. I just make sure its clean by lightly sponging it down. It only ever really gets washed if it happens to get covered in blood or something (usually mine :( ).

As for washing them being not traditional I think that it is important to remember that hygiene has only been really valued in the last century or so. Even in the 18th century most people believed that infections weren't a result of dirt but other things such as the miasma. I'd prefer to turn up to training with a clean dobok and belt even though the old masters of centuries ago didn't.

well i have had this same belt for many years and it doesnt stink at all, maybe you should consider a thicker do bahk??? :) but i am a TMA person so, as that i chose to carry on those traditions when applicable, so my do bahk is always cleaned and pressed and presentable to the hilt, but as for belts i try to stay away from washing them becuase the school frowns upon it, and long ago a dirty beat up belt was a way of telling rank.

good luck

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

I've never really had an issue with my belt NEEDING a washing, but if I do wash it, it's by hand in cold water. The main reason I don't wash it is because the washing machine tears out the stitching on the belt. And don't even think about machine drying it... unless your belt is 3 sizes too big. :P

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

well i have had this same belt for many years and it doesnt stink at all, maybe you should consider a thicker do bahk??? :) but i am a TMA person so, as that i chose to carry on those traditions when applicable, so my do bahk is always cleaned and pressed and presentable to the hilt, but as for belts i try to stay away from washing them becuase the school frowns upon it, and long ago a dirty beat up belt was a way of telling rank.

good luck

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

My belt doesn't stink or have any really viewable signs of dirt, however I know where its been and I'd just prefer not to present myself with it when all my other clothing is dirty. After all it is just clothing and only shows how many tests you've taken and not what knowledge you actually have.

And don't even think about machine drying it... unless your belt is 3 sizes too big.

I did actually try this with my 9th gup belt I think... anyway, one of my early coloured belts was an adults size but I was only a kid so my mum dried it and erm... it was a tight fit. :lol:

never wash the belt, never!!!!!!!!!!

This article is very good and well written. In Japan, you'd be made fun of for wearing dirty clothes.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/2005/09/09/urban-legends-of-karate-belts/

Very nice. Humorous, too! :lol: That is a good read.

• 3 months later...