• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

frustrated!

Shotokan-kez

meh, usually what i do if someone doesnt care about what we are doing and we are doing kumite, is i hit them... and take the warning from the instructor if he sees it. He usually doesnt give me any because he hates slackers so he knows im trying to get them to actually train... They usually smarten up and starts focussing...

If im teaching class ill make the lazy ones do push ups while i give the others a break, that also seems to work.

just keep at it and you will eventually find yourself in a situation where you can once again train fully. Or talk to your instructor about private lessons

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Brian, i'm sure it will. I'm taking a short break off at the moment. It's only two lessons, i just needed some time off.

I will just concentrate on myself in future, i just find it difficult to pair up with another 1st kyu that doesnt really care about what they are doing, or putting no effort in because that means i can't train to my full potential.

Sometimes taking a little break is one of the best things you can do. It gives you a little time away to re-focus, and re-charge your training.

As for those that slack in class, just push them a little more, try to talk them up. If that doesn't work, then I would go with obiwansbane suggestions. :)

I know how you feel. I gained my 3rd kyu 3 months before some others in my class. Just recently, Sensei seems to have been focussing on raising the 3rd and 4th kyus to their grade, and for a while I felt a bit neglected, and perhaps had that nagging feeling that the other 3rd kyus were going to get ahead of me. On the other hand. I just decided to give everything my best, to try hard at all the basics and especially the really early ones, and to set an example to the other guys in class, especially the kids.

Anyway, last week sensei told me he thinks I'm ready to grade next time. But, funny enough, it's not that important. I'm only competing against myself, no-one else. When I'm ready, I'll be ready regardless of the belt around my waist.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

I agree that its hard to see others who aren't making an effort get graded when they should be passed over. It's frustrating, but happens. I just try to focus on what I'm doing, and the progress I'm making.

It annoys me to have to work with classmates with no "spirit" in their training, but I just try to put as much as I can into my own training, and if they inadvertently get whacked for being too slow or getting the exercise wrong, and aren't making any effort.... so be it. They made their choice, and I mine.

Kez, sometimes all you can do about the slackers is to try to avoid standing near them if possible so that you can pair up with someone else. If nothing else, try talking privately to the instructor about changing up how the class pairs up, so that you don't always have to work with the one next to you who is so lacking in motivation.

I actually like working with those junior to me, it helps me reinforce what I know to help teach someone else. I also get more drill out of it, and a new element of challenge in old techniques. Right now there isn't anyone senior, so I don't get to work with others higher up than me, only a couple others of same rank.

what goes around, comes around

I know what you are going through, Kez, being an adult and working with a class full of kids. We have a few adults, depending on the night, and it is tough at times. You just have to push on through!

Well i got back from my hols and had my first class again last wednesday. As usual i put in my all and while the assistant instructor and his wife was driving me home i told them how i was feeling. They said that when they got the grades up for katas on their own i really stood out from the rest, and that there shouldn't be a problem with me taking the grading, they would put my name forward to the chief instructor.

We had a good chat and i feel a whole lot better about things, thanks guys.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

That's great to hear, Kez. :karate: As has been mentioned, the best thing you can do is just keep pushing yourself, so that you get the most benefit that you can.

Keep up the good work, Kez!