• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

favourite sparring attacks

sonic

Just a fun thread about your favourite "signature" attacks to use while sparring. I have two:

double front kick (with the same leg): I tend to use this at least once a fight. It seems to work really well for me and most people dont see the second kick coming.

hammer fist: ever since My head sensai used this on me I have really started to like it. It is not something you can use very often but it can work wonders on people smaller then me ( which is about 90% of the class)

"Think of the frog with its legs hanging out of the stork's mouth and with its hand around the stork's throat. NEVER GIVE UP!" ~ Unknown

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

twitch the front foot a few times and lunge with a backfist

doesnt really work now, but back in the good ol days of low belts it did wonders

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

when i think about it ,I really don't have one, i only know counter attacks while pressing forward. every atempt for attack i make is actually a fake move.I wouldn't advertise or teach this kind of mentality though, it's for me.

I like to work in close to my opponents, and then punch away!

I'm like you Brian, i perform lots of punches too. Why do you prefere to do it this way? My reason is that i'm rubbish with scoring with kicks, i just can't seems to make them effective while sparring. I'm sure this isnt the case with you Brian :D

I'm not to bad with mawashi-geri because i am quite flexible and can kick quite high with it. What i do tend to do a lot while fighting is front kick and come down fast with uraken or kizami-tsuki, even tho i don't score with the front kick, its a good decoy to get in my second strike.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I like to work in close to my opponents, and then punch away!

I'm like you Brian, i perform lots of punches too. Why do you prefere to do it this way? My reason is that i'm rubbish with scoring with kicks, i just can't seems to make them effective while sparring. I'm sure this isnt the case with you Brian :D

I'm not to bad with mawashi-geri because i am quite flexible and can kick quite high with it. What i do tend to do a lot while fighting is front kick and come down fast with uraken or kizami-tsuki, even tho i don't score with the front kick, its a good decoy to get in my second strike.

I like to punch like this because it is to my advantage, being the short, stocky guy in class. When I spar the taller guys, they like to keep me away with kicks. Also, I don't counter much...not very good at it. So, instead of countering, I block a LOT, and let them come in closer. Once they are within range, I will punch, punch, PUNCH! Even though we wear chest protectors, I make sure they feel 'em.

I have pretty good kicks, too. However, I am a touch slower than most in my class. I will trade shots any day, just to show them that it won't do much unless they move me back. But, once I crowd them, and attack with my hands, they have to figure out how to get away. Then, as they start to drift away, I will throw in a kick, to clear them out.

Try that, Kez. Use the hands, and make them have to work away from you. Once they get just out of your punching range, clear them out with a kick or two. See how that goes for you.

I also like the spinning heel kick, to the body or the head. It may sound funny, throwing it to the body, but even if they have their hands up, they are going to feel that 245 lbs worth of torque! I will try to start working on that for my counter kick.

I don't think Ive developed a definitive signiture move yet. (Is that unusuall for someone whos going for black in 5ish or so weeks?)

I do like the hop in front kick and then follow it with two ridge hands. The first being about 3/4 speed and second being full speed. It seems to work.

I like ushiro geri. It's actually pretty difficult to block, so if the person doesn't have good "tai sabaki" then you can crack them good! :D

Apart from that, a lunging gyakuzuki is a pretty fair bet.

I like to slide in with a sidekick and follow with a backfist reverse punch. Unless of course the side kick got them too good :P.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I like to come in from a distance for a low reverse punch fake, then explode into a good jab at face level. Another one I like to do is get my knee up and fake front kick, stomp it down and fake reverse while moving forward, get it moving fairly quick two or three times then come in with a high jab. Also, if they're a little slow and their leading arm is extended far enough, I like to grab it and pull it forward and down while unloading with the other hand.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1