• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Leg Strength

Xepher

Hello all , I was just wondering because I think I'm pretty flexible but I can't seem to do my side kicks , roundhouse kicks and such in class , I can do them but not really as high as I like them. I have no problem in point sparring or kickboxing , but it seems like maybe my legs lack the strength to hold them up and chamber slowly? Would anyone be as kind to point out some specific leg training exercises to increase the strength or make it easier?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practicing slow kicking, while using the wall or a bar for balance, will help to build some leg strength. Kick out slowly for 5 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, then rechamber slowly for 5 seconds. Hold your leg as high as possible.

Another variation is to pulse your leg up and down very slightly, about 6 inches, when you have your leg extended. That will help build some strength as well.

Weight training is a great way to build leg strength, too, so don't neglect it. I like to do some hip adduction/abduction exercises sometimes, along with squats and some lunges.

Don't forget to keep stretching as well.

You can use some PNF stretching to help with your standard stretching routine to really add to your stretching routine.

Practicing slow kicking, while using the wall or a bar for balance, will help to build some leg strength. Kick out slowly for 5 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, then rechamber slowly for 5 seconds. Hold your leg as high as possible.

Bushidoman hit the nail on the head. This is THE drill to use.

Another variation is to pulse your leg up and down very slightly, about 6 inches, when you have your leg extended. That will help build some strength as well.

Another solid drill. Be sure to do the leg lifts to the front, side and back.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

Your static flexibility may not be as high as your dynamic flexibility. The fact that you can do the techniques at or near full speed during sparring suggests this may be the case. Bushido Man's advice will help you with your strength and static flexibility. Ultimately, IMO, dynamic flexibility is the more important of the two.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Your static flexibility may not be as high as your dynamic flexibility. The fact that you can do the techniques at or near full speed during sparring suggests this may be the case. Bushido Man's advice will help you with your strength and static flexibility. Ultimately, IMO, dynamic flexibility is the more important of the two.

I agree with Baron, here. Dynamic flexibility is different from static flexibility. The main thing is to warm your body up sufficiently before relying on your dynamic flexibility.

I cannot do the splits, but I am capable of kicking some tall people in the head. Baron has a good point here, and both should be worked on.

• 2 weeks later...

Sprinting should help build leg strength. I am a distance runner so I can't recommend any specific sprinting routine though I am sure there are folks on this forum that can.

Perhaps jumping rope might help, too.... just and idea.

Ed

Ed

Sprinting should help build leg strength. I am a distance runner so I can't recommend any specific sprinting routine though I am sure there are folks on this forum that can.

Perhaps jumping rope might help, too.... just and idea.

Ed

These exercises are great for building explosive power as well.

Go for 10 minutes on the treadmill at a fast walking speed, but kind of crouch down so your legs are always bent. Almost like your pulling a sled? Make sense? Do that until your thighs are burning. Then walk it off.

Also, remember to 'connect' through your core. So many times I've seen people do side kicks and high kicks in competition and their upper body is flailing all over the place whilst they fling a foot out there trying to get a point. Class time is about technique, so tuck that tailbone, tighten the abdomen and control that kick. Thats what should be developed first, then those point kicks will come even faster and more in control.

I come to you with only karate.

My hands are empty, but I fear no man.

Go for 10 minutes on the treadmill at a fast walking speed, but kind of crouch down so your legs are always bent. Almost like your pulling a sled? Make sense? Do that until your thighs are burning. Then walk it off.

That is an interesting idea. I kind of like the way it sounds. 10 minutes, eh?

Also, remember to 'connect' through your core. So many times I've seen people do side kicks and high kicks in competition and their upper body is flailing all over the place whilst they fling a foot out there trying to get a point. Class time is about technique, so tuck that tailbone, tighten the abdomen and control that kick. Thats what should be developed first, then those point kicks will come even faster and more in control.

This is a very good point. Technique should come first, and then the height and power can be added as it improves. Also, as Steve mentions, the core is very important. Everything we do begins with the core, and it should be tight and strong, in order to enable us to do things more efficiently, even everyday tasks.