• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seiza - Which knee first?

RichardHangHong

Which knee do you lower first in seiza?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which knee do you lower first in seiza?

• Left Knee
    • Right Knee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you think there's anything y'know significant about these left then right thing maybe like a ... er, symbolism thing?

I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish

Any significance that existed during the feudal age of Japan is gone. Afterall, no one wears a sword anymore. But in the training I've had in kenjutsu, easy access to the sword was the reason for dropping to the left knee first. I suppose Paradox is correct in that it's all symbolism now.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I don't believe that it matters too much. Honestly, many western dojos are much more strict about getting all of the ceremony things down right than their Japanese counterparts. Either way, it doesn't hurt to ask your instructor.

Edited by NightOwl

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I don't believe that it matters too much. Honestly, many western dojos are much more strict about getting all of the ceremony things down right than there Japanese counterparts. Either way, it doesn't hurt to ask your instructor.

I don't think it really matters either. At least...I've never been taught left or right by my sensei when it comes to sitting seiza. However, I usually go left knee down first, simply because...that's what my body does!

Shodan in Shorin-Ryu USA

I don't believe that it matters too much. Honestly, many western dojos are much more strict about getting all of the ceremony things down right than there Japanese counterparts. Either way, it doesn't hurt to ask your instructor.

I don't think it really matters either. At least...I've never been taught left or right by my sensei when it comes to sitting seiza. However, I usually go left knee down first, simply because...that's what my body does!

This is something that starts out with a reason (wearing a sword), then gradually, the reason fades away, and then everyone is left doing it "just because."