• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it possible to build muscle around the knee/its joints?

Kante

Is it possible to build muscle around the knee and its joints? Because while in karate practice if i ever get a hit on the knee it hurts alot and takes a while for me to recover.

Also, is it supposed to keep hurting for as long as 4+ days after getting an elbow to leg hit?

Thanks.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Depends on where exactly you're being struck. If you are taking blows to the patella (kneecap), you can incur a bone bruise or worse, you could fracture your knee. Not much you can do to prevent that outside of wearing knee protection in training. If you are taking strikes to the quadriceps or anterior tibialis muscles, you may simply need to weight train to improve muscle strength and size in those muscles to provide a better cushion. But you cannot build muscle over your knee joint.

Do you train knee strikes on the pads or heavy bag? You should do so on a regular basis to condition your knees for blows. Also, you may want to discuss with your instructor better strategies for blocking and evading strikes to your knee.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

If you see contact coming to your knee, trying using it as an offensive weapon. It is much easier to sustain a hit when you strike with the knee than to take one. Simple momentum. Also, try lifting your leg higher to do a shin block.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.