• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Will flexibility increase with the method I'm using?

Half a week ago, I started doing stretches before going to bed, and when waking up the next day. I hold each stretch for a minute. I'm doing this so that I can gain more leg flexability, and begin practicing high kicks ( because flexiblity is obviously important for that ). I'm currently doing toe touches, splits ( as far as I can which isn't that far ), and a few more stretches that focus on stretching my groin muscles.

Will holding these stretches for a minute be enough to dramatically increase flexibility? Do I need more stretches in order to increase flexibility? Finally, do I need to stretch more times per day, or am I overdoing it? Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

"Sincerity is crucial. No sincerity, no solid form of soul, no you."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are several factors that will greatly influence your flexibility gains: frequency of stretching, time interval of stretching movement, and relaxation.

I have found since holding most of my stretches for at least a minute or more (up from the previous 30 seconds or so) I have made substantial improvements in range of movement. Also, the more frequently you stretch, the better your results will be as well---flexibility training is simply an activity that gets better the more frequently you do it. Be sure, however, that if you stretch your muscles without much warmup to keep the stretch very light and with minimal discomfort (yes, you can stretch a muscle cold--you just have to be more careful). Surprisingly, even very light frequent stretches can make a huge difference in your progress. Also, focus on staying as relaxed as possible, and visualize a completely relaxed muscle being stretched. This is perhaps the most important factor.

I could barely touch my toes last summer (never had been very flexible)

and now I can touch my nose to my knees in a seated position. All of my kicks have gone through the roof in both range and speed, and my Muay Thai and Shorin-ryu instructors have noticed the difference, as have opponents I have faced in training.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Sohan has some good points there. I will add this: stretch to discomfort, not PAIN. Listen to your body; it will tell you when to stop.

You're absolutely right, Bushido. It's very important to save the deeper stretches for when you are well warmed up, such as at the end of your workout. Your stretches throughout the day should be light, with minimal discomfort. You will derive benefit either way.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Don't forget to breathe. That is very important as well. Feel your body as you stretch and listen to what it tells you. You can modify a stretch to suit your needs at any time by feeling how your body wants to stretch as you are doing it, by where it is tight.

You might also consider purchasing the book Stretching by Bob Anderson: http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-20th-Anniversary-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070226/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-8342301-0674512?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174532240&sr=8-1

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.