• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another workout idea for people to analyze if so inclined

Sohan....you are someone after my own heart...lol

I completely agree with your lifting advice. The power lifts, odd lifts, and so on are the best methods for a combat athlete.

The best bicep developer of all in my opinion is the pull up and variations of the pull up. I like doing pull ups/chin ups with a 45 pound plate hanging from my waist.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
The best bicep developer of all in my opinion is the pull up and variations of the pull up. I like doing pull ups/chin ups with a 45 pound plate hanging from my waist.

I agree, though I will admit that I have effectively used low reps of heavy alternating dumbbell curls (standing) to help augment my pullup training in the past, so the exercise in some forms isn't completely useless to a combat athlete. It is simply a tool, like anything else. The problem is that overdevelopment of the biceps (hypertrophy) can make for slow punching speed.

Weighted movements like chins and dips are highly effective exercises that more people should use in their programs. The reason they don't is simple: they're hard! :)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I'm nobody special.

Well, I disagree. :)

But what you say makes a lot of sense, Sohan. Your thoughts are right in line with the new move to increase core strength and do exercise such as Pilates. Even NFL players are doing it. I remember Howie Long relating a story of how he kept getting hurt playing defense for the Raiders while bodybuilding. Once he switched to core strength training, he stopped getting hurt and got stronger.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Weighted movements like chins and dips are highly effective exercises that more people should use in their programs. The reason they don't is simple: they're hard!

I agree! I am still struggling with the pull-ups. I can do some dips, but I do more bench dips right now, to get in some good reps. I do my pull-ups on a weight-assisted machine. They are tough, but I try.

Weighted movements like chins and dips are highly effective exercises that more people should use in their programs. The reason they don't is simple: they're hard!

I agree! I am still struggling with the pull-ups. I can do some dips, but I do more bench dips right now, to get in some good reps. I do my pull-ups on a weight-assisted machine. They are tough, but I try.

Pullups are definitely a challenge for the over-200 lb crowd, but not undoable. Alexeyev (sp?), the great Soviet weightlifter, could easily do 30 reps on pullups at a bodyweight of well over 300 lbs. Marvin Eder, a famous bodybuilder, could do 80 consecutive chinups at around 200 lbs bdywt.

Keep on pulling!

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu