• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

a hole?

shotokanbeginner

I think I have dug myself into a bit of a hole :dodgy:

someone recently told me shotokan karate was not meant for self defence. I know my teacher always says it is and it seems practicle much of the time, but I am really not sure what to think anymore. If it's not worth the training I don't really want to continue, but the problem is the teacher works with my mom and I see him all the time. I f I were to quit I think he'd be fairly upset and would always want me to come back and it would be awkward to be around him. How does anyone know if it's worth the training though? I am sorry to say I think I have a "weak mind" becuase I have always wanted to test shotokan. Is that terrible of me?

I could take something along with shotokan, but what would compliment it well? Would my teacher mind? if he did mind, would that make him close minded and a poor teacher? I mean within our club we do cross train kinda like we do boxing and judo and my teacher is also a control tactics instructor, and a sheriff so we learn bit of that, and last time he tuaght a womans self defense class I came along and helped out. I'm just uncertain.

My older brother recently started taking up a martial art, Jui Juts, but it's totally weird, like the guy teaches very intensely. Whenever my brother talks about it though , while his techniques seem fine, his story about the birth of his martial art seems weird, it almost sounds like his teacher is embelishing a whole bunch of stuff. Like how it's apparently illegal to teach, I didn't think any martial art was illegal to teach. I just don't want my brother training with someone who doesn't know what he's talkiung about, of course I wouldn't know better. My brother also comes home with a kind of... low expectation I guess? I can't think ow the word I want, anyways he seems to believe that what I do is a joke compared to what he does.

I watched enough recently, the one with krav maga(ENOGUH IS A GREAT MOVIE EVEYRYONE SHOUL WATCH IT!!) and I saw how she trained. To be honest it seemed like how we sometimes do it but we usually aren't that far away from traditional shotokan and it kinda disappoints me. Should I ask my teacher if we could do more of that?should I find another art that incorporates more of tht?

I'm jsut really confused and loosing faith in my art

maybe all I need is a confidence booster

maybe I need to get beat up

I'm so confused

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's only natural to question things and explore and clarify your thoughts. This is how we progress.

First of all, Shotokan is an excellent style, and if your instructor is incorporating boxing and Judo, and is qualified like you say he is, then I'm sure you are getting a good deal of practical self defense training, and I wouldn't stop training it either way, as it is a good standing and striking style and at the very least you will learn great striking technique, balance, movement, etc., etc.

When it comes to whether or not a style is good for self defense, that depends on many things, but mostly comes down to how your instructor interprets the art and teaches. Again, it sounds like you have a pretty competent instructor who is already cross training and teaching you defense for real-life situations.

Although, here are some things to think about that may help you make the right choices for you:

Shotokan is a great style, as I said, for standing up and striking, (and especially for defending people who are standing up and striking) and while it does have a number of joint locks, throws, and some ground work, it isn't a complete self defense system (don't worry, neither is your brother's jiu jitsu.) The addition of Judo gives you a lot more great takedowns, and more ground work and grappling, and boxing gives you even more ways to move and punch and react. Again, your instructor as a sheriff and a control tactics instructor has a lot of experience with real situations, which I hope he brings into his dojo. From what I've heard so far, I can't see any reason why you should stop training with him.

This isn't to say that you don't want to also cross train. You are certainly not weak minded for wanting to test Shotokan (quite the opposite), and cross training will at the very least give you a different perspective on martial arts and self defense, and you can take of that what you think will help you most, and leave the rest. Really learning the martial arts can only be done if you take it upon yourself to be constantly exploring and expanding your knowledge of yourself, and in my humble opinion, this self-knowledge is central to self defense, (and pretty much everything else too.)

There are many things that would compliment Shotokan well (Judo and Boxing are pretty good to begin with) Jiu Jitsu is very good to get some really strong ground fighting and grappling into your martial arts, but again, any cross training will give you a different viewpoint on martial arts and self defense, and on yourself, and that is always a good thing.

If your instructor has a problem with you cross training, I would be very straightforward with him and tell him that you want to stay at his school, but that you must do what's best for you, even if it's going to be awkward. That's better than not trying something and then regretting it later. (Somehow, I don't think he'll have a problem with you cross training, and I would definitely talk to him about incorporating things into the class that you would like to learn about and are curious about.)

Now let's talk about your brother for a moment. It sounds like there's a little sibling rivalry going on here, and that, and the fact that it sounds like he is a very inexperienced martial artist are probably why he is talking down about your Shotokan.

Jiu Jitsu has always been a very intense style of martial art, with a lot of conditioning work involved in the training, and it was designed specifically for combat in Japan, and later for street fighting and street defense in Brazil, and is a major focus in sport competitions like UFC and Pride Fighting. Therefore it enjoys a reputation of being very tough and street-self-defense oriented, but like I said before, it is not a complete self defense system as it lacks striking skills and defense against skilled striking opponents. (Just don't let your brother grab you or take a match to the ground and you'll do just fine against him :wink:) Also, it is not illegal to teach, and I'd be surprised if his instructor made such a claim, but instructors who embellish things are not unheard of either. I don't know enough about the situation to really comment on the nature of your brother's instructor, so that's something I'd talk to about with him, or your parents, or your own instructor perhaps if you really are worried.

Anyway, don't feel like you're the only one who's temporarily lost faith in themselves or their MA. We all have phases we go through where we think, and/or realize that we want to be even better than we are now, and this is what motivates us to challenge ourselves and thus, improve.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

I think I have dug myself into a bit of a hole :dodgy:

someone recently told me shotokan karate was not meant for self defence. I know my teacher always says it is and it seems practicle much of the time, but I am really not sure what to think anymore.

Dude, whatever martial art you practice, you'll hear people badmouth it. There is no ultimate martial art. Shotokan works for me. Either you enjoy training it and therefore are willing to put the training in to make it work for you or you don't enjoy it and would prefer to train something else. This is the only question you face.

The old "shotokan isn't designed for fighting" argument is a common one and it winds me up no end. It's a martial art! Of course it's designed for fighting!

Edit: as the chap above said - jiujutsu or judo are a great complement to karate - if you get the chance to cross train then go for it!

Im going to add to what everyone else is saying..because its all great advice.

I think its natural for you to get to a point in your training where you start to try and equate it to the real world. Shotokan was created for a situation that can easily be equated to the real world. Multiple attackers..ending the fight as quickly as possible, using the maximum amount of force possible, disabling your opponents so they do not want to fight anymore. Its a very powerful and brutal art when you get right down to the nitty gritty.

Now that being said..which as I said..has been said before. *nods quietly to himself*

IMHO, training in martial arts is ALL about..becoming confident in yourself..and confident in your abilities. Now for me..if someone were to attack me. I might not break out into a downward block and a full length reverse punch...but I know that I can drop down, use the floor, and drive my attacker back with force. It might not even LOOK like karate. But I WILL defend myself. I think once you can take the skills you train in the dojo, and just be confident that on the street..you'll use your training...maybe not so much the technically exact skills..but your 'training'. Most of self-defense is mental anyways so 50% of the battle is NOT locking up when someone challenges you. Getting over that adrenaline shock and using it to overcome your opponent. I tend to ramble..but I hope I got something across that the other guys haven't said.

I come to you with only karate.

My hands are empty, but I fear no man.

It is really hard to know where you are at, self-defense wise, if you have never had to defend yourself.

I think that if you are enjoying your training, then stay with it. It sounds like your instructor has a good blend of things going.

If you do want to train elsewhere, then do so. Look around, and see what is available. Watch the classes, and then TALK TO THE INSTRUCTOR! Find out what his goals are, and compare them to yours. Go from there.

Although you may feel weird around your old instructor, it will pass in time. Don't let that kind of thing get to you. Life is too short.

• 3 weeks later...

Shotokan is a great style to study (i'm not being biased). It's great for self defence as well fighting, form ect. I don't have a lot to add really as i think everyone has given you some really sound advice.

Honestly tho, it sounds like your in a great dojo with a really good instructor, i would give it a good shot and best of luck!

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk