• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belts don't matter to me anymore.....

I've been doing Martial Arts for a good chunk of my life now.

Started out in TKD and then moved on to kickboxing at the age of 13 and later began training in Jiu-jitsu.

My competitive career in kickboxing is awesome. I love fighting and after a 2 year break from competition I've come back with even more ferocity and will to win. Training is going great and with the help of nutritional advisors and personal trainers for cross training I'm 10x the fighter I was before.

My second love is Jiu-jitsu. Been a blue belt for FIVE years now. There are people at my dojo who've started after me and moved passed me to get their black belts. Many people ask me how I feel about this and I just tell them that I don't really care. Probably because I have helped most of these people out and taught them many of the techniques that they know (btw....I laugh when they try to boss me around in class).

Anyway I just don't care anymore about getting my black belt. Kickboxing is more important to me anyway but I love Jiu-jitsu as well. Before getting belts was a big deal to me but now...not so much. I just lay in the cut, go to class and practice my techniques, grapple, learn some new stuff and I'm happy.

I have been told by my sensei (who I have had an extreme falling out with from last year) that if I want to get my black belt, I have to help him teach classes and so forth. I don't have the time to do that; just finished college and I got bigger and more important things to do with my time than help him teach classes while laughing all the way to the bank. Plus I feel that if I'm teaching classes I shouldn't have to be paying him membership or at least pay at a discounted rate.

So right now.....I'm just content with my humble blue belt. Plus I like the colour blue anyway and it matches my Gi :lol:

Just had to vent

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello, You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Important things first, (life has priorties).

Your kick boxing skills I'm sure is something you feel very comfortable with.

Many people think everyone should achieve a Black Belt. It is only a status symbols today (so many getting one and cannot fight back).

If your skills work for you...and if you feel it is NOT neccessary to get one...that is OK. Also teaching is something you must love to do and want to do it.

In time it may happen (being promoted to a Black Belt).

Take care of your priorties first. Remember this RULES:

1.Family come first (especially when you have kids-it becomes your job to raise them

2. Your work: This take care of your family and life style.

3. What ever you want here, can be martial arts, can be fixing your cars, can be helping others.....

............Aloha

Yeah you sound really tuned in to your martial arts and your lifestyle needs, it's great to see this. I think you have a great attitude towards your MA. You do often see poeple trying to rush to reach their black belts, but like me you are content to wear the same belt for a long time. Hats off to you!

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Great attitude to have....I concur with what others have posted.

It's not the belt that defines the martial artist it is the man in the belt.

I think you have definitely thought about your goal in the martial arts, and you are well on your way to becoming what you want to be.

I agree that teaching is not for everyone, and not everyone should have to do it to earn a black belt. I think that it can be an important aspect of learning, but not necessarily required.

• 2 weeks later...

Throwdown, I do not rush through the belts either. I keep telling everyone that the higher the belt, the higher the expectation and I am very happy with the belts that I have. Currently in ITF TKD I am a blue tag and I will take my blue belt exam this year.

I originally started with one Tae Kwon Do instructor, very nice person, and he had to have back sugery and the building was torn down. I then went to another club (both in America) and was lucky to have another great instructor. I then moved to England, and after looking at a few different clubs, found one in Long Eaton, Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire area.

For each of the three clubs, I had to start at the beginning of the belt rankings again and now, looking back, I'm glad that I did. I find that there is much to learn at each belt level and only when I think I am comfortable with that level will I think about grading for the next one. Currently I am thinking about grading once a year.

The instructor sometimes asks me if I will work with some of the beginners to show them techniques, but that's about as close as I get to training people.

The reality for me is that I have what I'm looking for and that to me is the most important thing.

I've never been a belt guy and now practice arts/styles that don't do belts. Or gis or ceremonial bowing, for that matter.

Good for you, throwdown.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I've never been a belt guy and now practice arts/styles that don't do belts. Or gis or ceremonial bowing, for that matter.

Good for you, throwdown.

This is a good deal, I think, Baron. Although I have only known the rank systems, I know what they can, and can't, mean. I haven't really focused on a rank in a long time, until recently, because I feel like I could test for my 3rd dan.

Rank or no, it is always important to enjoy the journey.

Rank or no, it is always important to enjoy the journey.

Couldn't possibly agree more...very well said.

Thanks, James. Its not what you put on your body, but what goes into your mind that will help the most.