• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are good exercises to improve hip rotation?

baronbvp

I know that having flexible hips is a major key to all martial arts. Proper rotation of the hips is a central element in effective punching, kicking, movement, grappling control, etc.

My hips are not very flexible. I also want to learn better how to rotate them to improve the power of my punches and kicks, and to get them to turn over for my Thai round kick. I stretch my hips and groin often and practice kicks and punching while focusing on rotating my hips. But I am frustrated and unsatisfied with my progress.

Does anyone know of good exercises or tips to learning proper hip rotation? I know it's good to do, but HOW do you do it?

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I can't help much here, Baron. But, I'll try.

Try standing, and then picking your leg straight up, like chambering a front kick. From there, begin rotating your leg out, then down, and then back around to the chamber postition. That should loosen your hip some. Circle both ways, on both sides. See if that gives you a start.

You could also do the "frog stretch." You start by sitting on your knees. Then, you stretch your legs out, while on your knees (picture doing the splits, but on your knees, with the lower legs still tucked under). Then, when you are low enough, lay forward. From there, push yourself backwards, rolling your hips back and forward. See what that does for you.

Thanks, Bushido Man, I'll try them tonight!

I also do some others, including some from Sang Kim's Ultimate Flexibility and Bob Anderson's Stretching. I just need to put in the time. I have a sciatic nerve issue in my left hip and leg that I work on a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
I also do some others, including some from Sang Kim's Ultimate Flexibility and Bob Anderson's Stretching. I just need to put in the time. I have a sciatic nerve issue in my left hip and leg that I work on a lot.

Have had a good deal of experience with tight hip problems that resulted from a disk hernination in my lower back a few years back .

Here are a few stretches that work for me :

1) stand in a deep front stance and push forward with your hips and slightly lean in a backward motion with your back .

The reverse of this movement is to stand in front stance but with your front leg on a chair and lean forward .

2) while siting on chair , put one ankle one other leg just above the knee . Push down on leg that is crossed . Do both legs .

The reverse is to lift up on the other leg .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.