• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why in TKD do people bounce up and down whilst doing forms. Im not being rude or picky but say against a judo fighter this would be great to see. The balance would already be broken as the TKD exponent rose up.

This subject is not a 'my style verses your style' argument, its just something i don't understand as high on your toes is where i don't want to be .

Wing chun helps you find the path to ones inner strength. I am getting stronger

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen anyone bouncing doing forms in TKD, I have seen people bouncing in competition and in my dojang we are encouraged to bounce while sparring or doing drills. The rationale for this is to keep your opponent in the dark as to how or where your attack is coming from.

I'm not too sure that a judo player could use this to his advantage. To do a throw, he would have to approach the TKD fighter and the judo player would be within striking distance or could be evaded or could be blocked with a kick. The TKD fighter should not be placing weight on one foot more than the other while bouncing so using a sweep would not necessarily be easier against the TKD fighter vs. any other style. If I was using judo against a TKD fighter I think my best hope would be to try to trap his leg during a kick or try to plant the kicking foot.

I'm not really a proponent or opponent of bouncing. I don't see it used in other competitions but that's not to say they won't pick it up if it's effective. I think it's just as likely that bouncing might just as easily go "out of style" in TKD in future years. On the face of it I'd think you could use feints or mock attacks to deceive your opponent with less expenditure of energy.

i may be mis understood here so here is what i mean. It is on the video taken from the irish open

Wing chun helps you find the path to ones inner strength. I am getting stronger

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml

sine wave, its really only an ITF thing although some other non-ITF schools do it (and some ITF don't).

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

From what I can tell..its their attempt to stay 'on beat'. They probably practiced the kata to a tempo..and they all stay sync'd by boppin to the beat.

Your right..it does look pretty silly.

I come to you with only karate.

My hands are empty, but I fear no man.

i may be mis understood here so here is what i mean. It is on the video taken from the irish open

Hmm, you're right. Not what I thought you were taking about at all.

I believe this is the much feared "Lord of the Dance" hyung.

From what I can tell..its their attempt to stay 'on beat'. They probably practiced the kata to a tempo..and they all stay sync'd by boppin to the beat.

It is the sine wave movement. When General Choi came up with it, it was based off of the idea that when you finished the move, you gathered power by coming up slightly, and then by "settling" into the move, you transfered all of your power forward and down, into the target.

Whenever I see it, I think it disrupts the flow of techniques. I think that many times over the years, the idea has been misinterpreted, and therefore misused, and misunderstood.

That Kind of Movement would be looked down upon in my school. This is what I hate about all these musical kata and the like. We have been taught that the body should not move up or down in our kata except in the rare exception(jumping kicks etc). Of course we are a traditional style who dont compete much, so we dont have to worry about what a judge thinks. Very silly yes.

That Kind of Movement would be looked down upon in my school. This is what I hate about all these musical kata and the like. We have been taught that the body should not move up or down in our kata except in the rare exception(jumping kicks etc). Of course we are a traditional style who dont compete much, so we dont have to worry about what a judge thinks. Very silly yes.

I'm not sure what you mean by musical. The sine wave wasn't employed to keep to any musical beat at all but to reciprocate natural movement whilst still generating power. I'm sure you don't walk trying to keep your head level? Although staying level allows the mass (and power) to travel in a straight line, making the technique quicker and stronger (in the sense that movement isn't lost), sine wave allows mass to travel downwards at the moment of impact (like bushido_man said).

Think of it as a large wave (the water type :D ), that too moves in a sine wave curve. First it builds its height and then it drops whilst still moving in lateral direction. The force behind a wave can be really strong, e.g a tidal wave. Now tell me there's no power there. And plus, countless times I've seen people break bricks and stuff where they've dropped their mass even if they've been told its wrong. So why do they do it?

I'd say that video was an exaggerated version of sine wave though with emphasis on bending the knee.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Hello,

We removed a post in error from this thread. It is quoted below. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks. :)

That Kind of Movement would be looked down upon in my school. This is what I hate about all these musical kata and the like. We have been taught that the body should not move up or down in our kata except in the rare exception(jumping kicks etc). Of course we are a traditional style who don't compete much, so we don't have to worry about what a judge thinks. Very silly yes.

I'm not sure what you mean by musical.

The kata in the video he showed was put to music. The people bounced to the music. The use of the sine wave is not bad, but exaggeration to the point of absurdity is just that absurd. We use our hips in our punches too but it doest have to look like a booty shake when you get good at it. It looks good to the beat, that video was dancing- JMO