• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belts are just a scam !!!!!

I guess I'm very lucky. A gentleman at my church started Martial Arts classes a little over three years ago. He is a 9th degree black belt in Hon-Shin-Do. He has also studied many other styles. He has never charged us a dime and has said that as long as he has students coming he'll continue to teach. We never pay for testing but he will not test us until he thinks we are ready. He buys our belts and certificates and presents them to us at promotion. "You earn your belts" he tells us. He has studied under Master John Pachivas and Master Trias. He has also studied under Ken Ogawa from Japan. I and my son feel very fortunate to have the opprotunity to learn Martial Arts from this man. He gives so much and asks for so little!

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are fortunate.

Many Americans do not value that which is free. I hope no one disillusions him.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

I think that paying for a belt test is ludicrous!! What if we had to pay to go from jr high to high school? I think that this type of stuff is nonesense. A person should not have to pay for their increased proficiency.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

• 1 month later...
I personally like the belt system. It gives higher ranks a quicker way to get an idea of what point you are at in your training. Although I don't agree with very young ADULT blackbelts ( such as elementary school children :o ), I agree with the system of the a few types of blackbelts. We have tiger blackbelts, and then they advance to a young adult lower color, and then when young adults get blackbelts, they become, say, adult greenbelts. It's really not as complex as it looks. :roll:

Dee

When you say young adult are you meaning teenagers? They are not adults, they are teenagers. A young adult, IMHO, is someone in their 20's or 30's, not their teen years. Just wanted to throw that out. No disrespect was intended. :)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

I have read a few posts in this forum about teenagers becoming blackbelts and they all seem to say that it is shocking that a dojo would let a kid the age of 15 or 16 become a blackbelt.

I could not disgree more. There is nothing shocking about it.

I recently found out that the two shodans who instruct at my school are 16 and 17. To be blunt - everyone in the class was floored to find this out. Why was eveyone floored, you ask. Becuse these two men (they are by no means immature highschoolers) act and carry themselves with the maturity, diginity and respect of a person twice their age.

I feel, a person should not be judged by the number of years they have been on earth but by the person they are, this includes becoming a blackbelt.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt

"You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." - Captain Richard Marcinko, USN, Ret.

"Do more than what is required of you." - General George S. Patton

"If you have to step on someone else to stand tall, then you truely are a small person." - ?

• 4 weeks later...
Personally, I dont like the belt system. Its just a way to justify how good you are, and how much better or worse you are than everyone else. It also gives a false sence of sucurity, making kids thinking that their awesome just because they are in so and so belt. on top of that it costs money for each belt, and thats a rip off. luckily my system, muay thai doesnt use belts. like the old muay thai saying " the belt is in the ring".

The only problem I have with belts isn't the belts, the fees or gradings themselves, but the pressure parents try to put on Senseis to grade their child to the next level. We've lost a couple of students because their parents decided they should be green belts because so-and-so was, or because their kid was a red belt for 6 months....well, time training is not the only thing that is considered when grading!, and who cares if their buddy or sibling has graded?

I'm glad Sensei stuck to his guns and refused to grade them as they weren't ready. I'd rather see a red belt walk away then a kid grading for junior black because they'd been pushed through the system by Mom and Dad!

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

• 5 weeks later...
The belt system is a good idea,but i agree with many on this forum who have said that instructors charging a arm and a leg for a Test fee is ridiculious.fortunatly for me,we only pay 30 dollars per test per kyu rank,and 50 dollars when we test for black belt.

3rd Kyu Brown Belt

To learn more about Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei,goto http://www.kiyojuteryu.org/

a belt rank shows the amount of time a person has spent learning,and the recognision they deserve for that time.i know it can be exspensive but take into consideration that back in the late 1800s and 1900s in japan,one would give his entire enhiritence to afford to learn the system.

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them