• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cresent Kick?

lufbrajames

It's funny how much crescent kick turns up in the Shotokan kata, but you just about never practice it in basics in most classes at Shotokan dojos. Roundhouse kick is far more emphasized, but it's in none of the kata. Come to think of it, I've never even seen any traditional karate kata with a roundhouse, just TKD forms.

That's interesting. I never realized that.

Crescent and sweep (reverse of crescent) kicks are useful as a "defensive" kick in that you can use them to block a punch, or to "sweep aside" the arm/weapon an attacker has, and open up their body to a follow up attack. We're taught that crescent/sweep kicks are primarily used in combination to set up for what follows, not as a standalone move.

I have heard this as well, but I don't think I would try to disarm someone with a cresent kick. It just sounds too risky.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always had a strange feeling that the Round kick was adopted from Muay Thai (or Muay Boran, etc.) they're quite similar and would explain the absence in kata. Also, I've heard that Kyokushin Karate was basically a japanese 'answer' to the Muay Thai that Mas Oyama saw in his lifetime. Once again, just speculation :D

And isn't Kakuto-otoshi axe-kick, if I'm not mistaken, that's a completely different kick from a crescent. Crescent kicks make impact with the side or bottom of the foot, whereas axe-kick makes impact with the heel.

And isn't Kakuto-otoshi axe-kick, if I'm not mistaken, that's a completely different kick from a crescent. Crescent kicks make impact with the side or bottom of the foot, whereas axe-kick makes impact with the heel.

This is true, the two kicks have different striking points. However, the way the two kicks are done is very similar.

I've always had a strange feeling that the Round kick was adopted from Muay Thai (or Muay Boran, etc.) they're quite similar and would explain the absence in kata. Also, I've heard that Kyokushin Karate was basically a japanese 'answer' to the Muay Thai that Mas Oyama saw in his lifetime. Once again, just speculation :D

the round kick-mawashi geri was introduced into karate in the thirtys by gigo funakoshi.

Kyokushin is Sosai Oyama's own unique blend of his MA expirienceswith the base being shotokan and goju .kyokushin was the only japanese MA that took up the thai challange in the mid sixties with spectacular results.

execution is the same,hight and point of impact are different in uchi/soto mawashi geri and kakato otoshi geri.

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

Try this - throw the crescent kick with your rear leg high up to the face. Before you put your foot down turn it into a side kick and drill it right into your opponents ribs. Many times your opponent will bring his hands up to block the crescent kick and you can really drill that side kick into those open ribs. It's worth trying. I have a brown belt that nailed a black belt with it at one of the last tournaments we went to. A black belt friend of mine turned to me and asked me if he was my brown belt. When I responded in the positive he said "Wow nice technique". Sometimes it works.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

You have to bring your leg into chamber after you throw the crescent kick. Do not put your foot down and fire it into the exposed ribs. You can also use this in self defense. If a person exposes a knife you can knock the knife out of his hand and using the momentum smashes the ribs with a side kick. If the momentum keeps you turning turn all the way around and throw a front kick with the other foot for good measure. You can experiment with a reverse crescent kick too but always hit the wrist right behind the hand to send the weapon flying. There are some good combos you can work from both the crescent and reverse crescent kicks. I’ve seen them used effectively. Strangely enough I never used too many crescent kicks because of one major draw backs. When you throw the crescent kick it is easy for the opponent to block your kick with his forearm right on the bottom of your calf muscle and that really hurts. But don't let it stop you from trying.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

Sensei Tom has the right idea.

I personally love the crescent kick, although I don't use it much in sparring. I actually think this is an advantage to the crescent as you can surprise people with it if you get your timing down well. It can be used suddenly from a range of distances and as others have said, if can be very effective as a defensive or blocking technique. I found that you really have to practice moving your whole body into the kick and executing it as you move away or into an opponent's attack for it to be effective as an attack.

You can also generate a ton of power with a crescent if you learn to move your hips and center with it. However, instead of a traditional strike, I've had a lot of success using the crescent to push my opponent around to a position that will open him up for a nice follow up like the crescent/side kick combo that Tom mentioned. Also using a crescent to push your opponent to the opposite side of your body and following up with a quick roundhouse from the other leg works well to.

Never discount a good tornado kick (spinning jumping inside crescent) as a nice knockout blow. You have to be very quick with it, but it appears that you're executing a back spin when you start the move, so if you do it right, you can give your opponent a false sense of security and draw them into the attack.

It's really a very versatile kick with some great applications, and just being able to move your hips in the crescent motion is very useful. I recommend any martial artist to keep it in his/her arsenal.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Never discount a good tornado kick (spinning jumping inside crescent) as a nice knockout blow. You have to be very quick with it, but it appears that you're executing a back spin when you start the move, so if you do it right, you can give your opponent a false sense of security and draw them into the attack.

I like this kick as a counter as well. I also use the round kick version of it.