• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cresent Kick?

lufbrajames

I do Shito-Ryu, so I can't say for Shotokan, but we primarily do front, round, side, hook, back and spin. I've never had much luck with a outside crescent.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest, I've always questioned the validity of a crescent kick as a kick, many people I know use it often (I can't remember ever using it) UNTIL my head instructor taught us a section of Pinian/Heian Godan bunkai where the crescent kick is contained, just not as a kick, as a block to a kick, using the arch of your foot, just food for thought ;)

Hi

I only wondered becuase when i did shaolin kung fu, i was learning inner and outer crescent kicks for my next grade and was quite fond of them.

Are there many other kicks in shotokan other than the standard:

Front Kick

Side Kick

Roundhouse

?

There are many kicks learnt in shotokan. I can't name them all because im not sure myself of them. Side thrust, side snap, crescent kicks, mawashi geri, reverse mawashi geri, back kick, double front kick.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Hi

I only wondered becuase when i did shaolin kung fu, i was learning inner and outer crescent kicks for my next grade and was quite fond of them.

Are there many other kicks in shotokan other than the standard:

Front Kick

Side Kick

Roundhouse

?

There are many kicks learnt in shotokan. I can't name them all because im not sure myself of them. Side thrust (yoko kekomi geri), side snap (yoko keage geri), crescent kicks (mikazuki geri), mawashi geri, reverse mawashi geri (ura mawashi geri), back kick (ushiro geri), double front kick (nidan geri).

(names added)

Then you've got all the other variations - tobi geri, ushiro mawashi geri, kakato geri, nami ashi geri (the one from tekki shodan)

The crescent kick worked for Billy Jack!

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

I think the crescent kick can work on the street; you just have to re-evaluate your target area. I think it can work well to the side of the leg. You can do it straight legged, and throw it into the leg like it is dead weight, much like a Thai roundhouse, but you don't have to turn your body quite as much.

Crescent and sweep (reverse of crescent) kicks are useful as a "defensive" kick in that you can use them to block a punch, or to "sweep aside" the arm/weapon an attacker has, and open up their body to a follow up attack. We're taught that crescent/sweep kicks are primarily used in combination to set up for what follows, not as a standalone move.

what goes around, comes around

It's funny how much crescent kick turns up in the Shotokan kata, but you just about never practice it in basics in most classes at Shotokan dojos. Roundhouse kick is far more emphasized, but it's in none of the kata. Come to think of it, I've never even seen any traditional karate kata with a roundhouse, just TKD forms.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

try -andy hug was well known for his kakatootoshi in kyokushin and K-1 tournaments.

filho has used them as well as feitosa.

so it depends on your ability.

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.