• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cresent Kick?

lufbrajames

Hi

I am thinking of starting Kyokushin or Shotokan within the next few weeks and have been looking through the syllabus of varies Shotokan clubs in order to get a rough idea of what i will be learning.

After looking through several clubs syllabus i noticed that there was not cresent kicks, is this normal for shotokan?

Thanks

Kung Fu rules!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I am thinking of starting Kyokushin or Shotokan within the next few weeks and have been looking through the syllabus of varies Shotokan clubs in order to get a rough idea of what i will be learning.

After looking through several clubs syllabus i noticed that there was not cresent kicks, is this normal for shotokan?

Thanks

It's not used very much in shotokan at all. It appears in the odd kata every now and then (e.g. bassai dai) but to be honest, it's not the world's most useful kick, you're not really missing out if you don't learn it. It only works if you're Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Hello, From the Shotokan Classes that I remember...the inside and outside cresent kicks were NOT a part of our classes. You may find them more in the Korean arts and chinese styles.

Also most karate schools are very traditional in there training, deep stances, long punches and many kata's to learn. Power blocking.

May I suggest? JUDO or a KENPO/KEMPO school instead? ...Aloha

crescent kicks are taught at our school, although we aren't a very traditional school, in my eyes the crescent kick to me is just a momentum build, although its cousin the axe kick can be quite useful as long as u dont snap ure knee in the process :P

if you just want to know how to do it i can explain its quite simple really, so yah traditionally its normal to not have them, but if your all into gaining momentum to throw your kicks id suggest learning them

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

We do crescent kicks and inverted crescent kicks aswell.

Might i ask why you are so interested in just one move?

"Don't eat muffins when i'm developing you!" - Black Books

We have learnt crescent kicks in our dojo and we do practise them from time to time, but i think thats only because they appear in kata's such as bassai-dai, heian sandan and godan. But i agree with everyone else that it's not a major or useful kick. Give me mawashi geri any day of the week lol

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I find that the crescent kick/axe kick can be quite useful in some sparring situations. I try to work them in when I can, and one of the tall guys I spar with in class is quite good at placing them.

It all depends on the situation.

We do crescent kicks and inverted crescent kicks aswell.

Might i ask why you are so interested in just one move?

Hi

I only wondered becuase when i did shaolin kung fu, i was learning inner and outer crescent kicks for my next grade and was quite fond of them.

Are there many other kicks in shotokan other than the standard:

Front Kick

Side Kick

Roundhouse

?

Thanks for everyone's info so far :)

Kung Fu rules!

Crescent kicks were designed to be much more of a stretch and less of an actual attack. Its usefull in point sparring competitions where power doesnt really matter, but under full contact you're more likely to lose your balance than you are deliver an effective blow.

I don't know about anyone else but I can get crescent kicks to work for me. In sparring I've used them to pull down an opponent's guard so that I can follow through with the opposite leg or hands. I don't advise this too much though as they might catch or trap the leg. It has to be fairly quick with a bit a bit of mass thrown in so when I do them, I make sure I commit with follow up techniques.

Crescent kicks to the blind side of an opponent can be good to..

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius