• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate not being the choice for self defence?

Kante

Hello,

I'm 15 years old and i've been practising Shotokan karate since i was 7 years old or so.

I've seen some Jeet Kune Do videos last night along with some Bruce Lee footage, and i just loved it, which pretty much left me in confuse.

Is Karate a bad choice for self defence?

In kumite, you're allways in the low fighting stance, and to be honest, I dont know how that would work in a real fight.

In karate, the only punch you ever really use is the "geyagotsoki" (i know that's not how you spell it) but in Jeet Kune Do it's so much more than that, and the defence techniques in Karate are pretty much just blocks and are nothing compared in the ones in Jeet Kune Do.

I just can't imagine myself in a real fight using my Karate teachings, but i dont feel the same when it comes to Jeet Kune Do.

Thanks for reading.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alot of people reach a point in their training when they have similar thoughts to you. And i say you have to go with your gut. If you dont fell like you could use your karate in self defence, then you most likely cant. Self confidence is very important, if you arnt confident that what your doing will work, then youve already lost the battle. Some people may suggest that you need to train more in karate for it to be effective, but i tend to think that self defence can be learned fairly quickly, if you havnt learned it already then i wouldnt be sticking around hoping to learn it from the same school sometime in the future.

With all that in mind, your still young, when you work out what your goals are and why you are actually training, then it may be easier to determine what kind of training (if any) would be good for you.

Self-defense will come down to what the training consists of, regardless of the style.

Likewise, with your fighting stance in Karate, you should stand how you feel comfortable, as opposed to a stylized fighting stance.

It is all in the way the instructor approaches things. Sure, sport fighting will differ from self-defense. However, there are advantages to be derived from both.

Welcome to KF, by the way! :karate:

You should be less concerned about what Bruce Lee could do. Bruce Lee was an exceptional character - we ordinary folk are very unlikely to reach his standard - sad but true.

BTW - you've been training in karate for 8 years and you use the low stance in fighting? DAMN, your teacher must be on another planet dude.

On the plus side, if you take up a new MA, your karate training should provide a good base for you - most people who move on from karate to a new art find that it's provided them with an advantage.

You should be less concerned about what Bruce Lee could do. Bruce Lee was an exceptional character - we ordinary folk are very unlikely to reach his standard - sad but true.

BTW - you've been training in karate for 8 years and you use the low stance in fighting? DAMN, your teacher must be on another planet dude.

On the plus side, if you take up a new MA, your karate training should provide a good base for you - most people who move on from karate to a new art find that it's provided them with an advantage.

Am not wining because i dont think that karate will make me able to do one finger pushups.

Am just saying that after watching these videos (no they weren't all bruce lee videos, just jkd training videos) i thought hey, there is nothing similliar to that kind of defence in karate which is not a thing to ignore.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

I'm not surprised you saw some very different things. The two artforms are based on two different sets of physical techniques. The philosophies do differ in some respects as well. However when it comes to self-defence keep in mind that when watching a film or TV what you'll see there is meant to entertain. Ergo not everything will be realistic.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Hello, Karate has been proven to work on the streets for self-defense.

Is it the best way to fight? ...maybe, maybe NOT. You have notice there are other ways to learn fighting.

It is best to watch as many different types of fighting, watch what most of them do? ....the stances,forms, the way they throw strikes (punches,kicks,elbow, and so on). Plus where many people like to tarket!

Many fighters stand like boxer (why? ...proven to be effective for movements).

Low stances is harder to move...but very strong position. (there will always be a happy medium.

JUDO may not seem to you an effective art? ...but once you try it! you will be surprise how it can make you a better martial artist.

It is good you are looking at other styles and systems...each one can teach you a new thing and other ways of looking at how you fight! .......Aloha

Kempo karate is right i think. So many different styles, techniques ect. It's a good thing that your looking at different styles, but i think it's a shame you seem to be losing faith a little in your karate. Funny really i can't imagine myself doing anything else. So are you thinking of cross training or giving up karate all together to try a different style?

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

To be honest, you won't know how well anything will work for you in a self defence situation unless you're put in such a situation and you have to use it. Most of us hope we won't be. But I think one benefit of MA training of any kind is to make you more confident. If you look more confident, hopefully you'll be less likely to look like a victim, and less likely to be picked on.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

But I think one benefit of MA training of any kind is to make you more confident. If you look more confident, hopefully you'll be less likely to look like a victim, and less likely to be picked on.

Obviously this hasnt been a benifit for the original poster to this point.