• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question for any form/kata/patterns etc. judges

DWx

I agree, as you are announcing yourself you scan through the judges looking each one in the eye. Time it so that your announcing ends with you looking the center judge in the eye. Also make sure if there are any female judges that you use ma'am not just sir. If the center is a female especially.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have only attended a few tournaments outside of my organization and not too many Big open style tournaments (the Capitol Classics in DC a few times...)

But I've never asked for permission to begin my form..... Is that common practice now?

I have only attended a few tournaments outside of my organization and not too many Big open style tournaments (the Capitol Classics in DC a few times...)

But I've never asked for permission to begin my form..... Is that common practice now?

To be honest, I've only ever seen it in mixed tournaments, particular any XMA style stuff. Its just a way of making you stand out I guess...

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I've never seen someone not announce their forms.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I've seen it in all the tournaments i have been to and either judged or performed in myself. it typically goes(just for example) "good morning judges my name is kate chuilli, i represent macdermotts tang soo do association, in the art of moo duk kwan tang soo do, the form i wish to perform for you today is kong sang koon, with your permission i will step back and perform it." i like it personally because as a judge it gives you a feel for the artist before they even perform but i also dont like it as a judge because some judges grade it as part of the performance and so dont. but as a competitor i feel it gives me time to just blab alittle and work out some butterflies and make it known who my studio is and who i represent. but i see it all the time, but all the tournaments i have been to have been fairly traditional for the most part.

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

I think its because of the way our tournaments work that I've not seen it that much... Most of the tournaments I compete / watch are all one style. You have to perform a designated and an optional and you are called onto the mat where the assistant to the judges announces your name and school. You don't really speak to the judges at all...

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Yes, probably. The way I announce my forms is similar to how chuilli does. Something along the lines of "Judges, my name is Jane Doe, my style is Chun Kuk Do, my instructor is John Doe, my form is Unsu, may I begin". All said very loudly and clearly. And then after a head nod "Thank you judges". If its a non traditional devision, like open forms or extreme forms, then you say the same but omit the form, unless you named your form something.

To be honest, I've only ever seen it in mixed tournaments, particular any XMA style stuff. Its just a way of making you stand out I guess...

I have never done it this way, either. I bow when they give the command to bow, and then begin my form when they give the command to begin. In the tourneys I have attended, the judges pretty much new what forms we would be performing, and therefore it wasn't necessary to address the form to the judges.