• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The "oh that hurts!...you suck! " drama queen....

Hi

I have one person that I train with, he is fairly experienced (one grade lower than me), but he throws a fit if there is contact that might hurt a little. He curses, start walking around in circles, flails his arms around and screams about how sucky I am. Real Oscar worthy stuff. I'm not a particularily hard hitter and he is a big guy. To add to that, no one else throws these fits and he doesn't throw them with someone else. For me it seems that he is trying to draw attention to himself and tries to make me look bad. This is the third time it has happened and I am tired of it. My sensei is aware of what is going on and have told him cut it out, even in front of the class, but it has no effect. I do not engage in any discussion with the guy when it happens and leave to the sensei. But I want it to stop now....any suggestions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could give him some real hard contact, and then smile at him. See what he has to say then!

Personally, I would just let it go. He is just making himself look foolish in front of the class.

I had someone do that to me. It was about a year and a half ago or so. This girl liked to spar, but didn't like contact UNLESS she made the contact. It got to me also. Next time we sparred, she dropped her hands and I kicked her on the side of the head. It wasn't hard, but I made contact. She threw a fit, then we continued sparring. She then was wide open for a side kick to the ribs. Again, I made contact. We wear gear, so it couldn't have hurt, eventhough I kicked her hard enough to push her back a little.

She threw a fit and acted like I beat the living daylights out of her. She told the instructor (here's the funny part hehehehe). She said that I kicked her in the face (I was standing in ear shot of her), and the instructor said, "Well, you shouldn't have blocked with your face." :D She said that I made hard contact with a side kick. He said, "well, suck it up." This isn't the first time she did this, so he also had to finally say something.

Now she competes a lot in sparring, and the contact doesn't bother her.

Laurie F

hehe.

You mentioned that you are the only one he does this to, Sibylla. Would it be feasible to not spar with him at all?

He does sound like a drama queen! Yeah i think i would agree with what Brian said and let it go, he is making a very big fool of himself in class, also like Patrick says, any chance of avoiding sparring with him. Although it seems to me that he needs to be hit a few times to know what it's all about.

Maybe he needs to learn to block!

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I'd tell him you're here to train and when you train you make contact. If he's concerned then maybe he should find another opponent. If that doesn't work you should probably talk to your sensei about it.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thanks for the advice. If the guy keeps it up, I'm sure my sensei will get real serious with him. If there is no solution soon, I agree that I might have to consider not training with the guy. Talking with him won't do, I think his ears are pretty closed.

I really dont like it when that happens. I know how it feels when your sparring with someone who isn't worried about hard their hitting you, yet has no guard and once you touch them they take it thick!