• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional Shotokan Striking in UFC

Bass Rutten got his start in the traditional arts, he was a black belt in more than 1 I believe. He was an amazing fighter.

Right, but he probably trained in his arts like a Judoka or Muay Tai boxer would. You CAN apply more 'traditional' martial arts...but a lot of places don't compared to those in the main UFC arts (plus you absolutely, positively have to have grappling experience and practice fighting other styles)

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the talk about "traditional" punching, it raises a question for me.

I feel that punching is truly one of the most basic techniques that we can do. I think that from the first time one human raised his hand against another, the punch has been around. Sure, there are sloppy ones out there, but for the most part, any punches that were used as part of any martial system really don't have much of anything different to offer.

I guess, what I am trying to say, is, a punch is a punch.

• 4 weeks later...

Machida is awesome, he is failrly underated imo. And as far as his Karate goes I heard that his father was a famous Karate guy in his day. But still in todays day and age you have to have great skills all around which Machida does

"Without Jiu Jitsu its like without my two legs."

-Rickson Gracie

https://www.myspace.com/cobraguard

• 2 weeks later...

Before you learned how to punch, a punch was just a punch. You make a fist and swing at someone.

Then you learned all the mechanics involved and intricate detail , the punch was no longer just a punch, it was complex.

As you train the punch it became natural a part of you, basic.

Finally a punch was again just a punch.

Enter-pressure-terminate

That is a very nice Bruce Lee paraphrase. :wink:

However, the point is a good one. In the end, they are just techniques, and if they land, they served a purpose.

I work out with some people that have now power in their punches, what good is the technique if it just lands on me and does nothing. There is more to a technique for it to just land on a target. The purpose should be to generate power, get your mass behind it not to stand in place and swing wildly.

Enter-pressure-terminate

Good point, straightblast. I agree that power is important. When I said land, I should have used the terminology that Lee used. What he would call a "score." That is what I meant.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps you were thinking of Park Yong Soo bushido?

He's not in UFC, but rather K-1 and has been touted as an example of a Traditional Martial Artist succeeding in MMA (although not without controvesy)

Here is a Youtube of one of his fights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEgIb2fj2yM

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896