• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My Tang Soo Do tournament

hello everyone, i have a tournament coming up and i am having a hard time deciding which kata to do, so i was wondering if anyone can help my decision. 1. its a traditional forms competition 2. i practice all throughly and extensively

1. Bassai dai

2. Chinto

3. Rohi

4. Wang shu

5. Kong sang koon

thanks for your input

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't really know the forms you do, but I would say that you should do the one that resembles the highest level of skill or rank. Since you know them all well, that is what I would recommed.

Good luck to you! :karate: Keep us posted!

I like watching people do Bassai. But you really should do the form that is equal to your rank. In TKD, if you do a lower form, you get points off of your score. I don't know if they do that for TSD, though (I haven't trained in TSD in years).

Laurie F

i am first dan rank (black belt) in tang soo do, but our judges dont really care if u do a lesser rank kata as long as it isnt a white belt kata lol they judge on form, technique, power, and intensity

if i do choose a kata of my rank it would be chinto, kong sang koon, or wang shu

i like bassai but i see it so many times at tournaments so i think im leaning towards chinto or wang shu because i never see them at tournaments and i think it would be a cool change of pace for our judges

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

I like watching people do Bassai. But you really should do the form that is equal to your rank. In TKD, if you do a lower form, you get points off of your score. I don't know if they do that for TSD, though (I haven't trained in TSD in years).

Excuse me for horning in on the Korean arts forum when I am not someone who does a Korean martial art, but I think I have 2 cents to stick in from my experience as a karate kata competitor.

In karate, there is no automatic deduction for doing a more basic form than your level, however you just about never see people doing lower forms in upper-level divisions, and if you do, those people just about never place, regardless of how good their form and technique look. I think the more basic forms make it a lot harder to hide your flaws. Moreover, some judges, no matter how much they're told not to, just discount the less flashy basic kata in their head from the get-go. I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true in TSD, which mostly uses the same forms as Shotokan, my main style of karate. (we have Bassai as well, I am good a it and I like it :) )

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

Excuse me for horning in on the Korean arts forum when I am not someone who does a Korean martial art, but I think I have 2 cents to stick in from my experience as a karate kata competitor.

In karate, there is no automatic deduction for doing a more basic form than your level, however you just about never see people doing lower forms in upper-level divisions, and if you do, those people just about never place, regardless of how good their form and technique look. I think the more basic forms make it a lot harder to hide your flaws. Moreover, some judges, no matter how much they're told not to, just discount the less flashy basic kata in their head from the get-go. I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true in TSD, which mostly uses the same forms as Shotokan, my main style of karate. (we have Bassai as well, I am good a it and I like it :) )

You hit on some good points there, and I don't think you are too far off, as far as the mindset of the judges at the tournaments go.

Personally, if one black belt does Chon-ji hyung, and another does Kwang-gae hyung, I am going to take into consideration the difference in the level of difficulty of the two forms.

To me, seeing a black belt perform Chon-ji hyung at a tournament looks like he is trying to take the easy way out.

• 1 month later...
hello everyone, i have a tournament coming up and i am having a hard time deciding which kata to do, so i was wondering if anyone can help my decision. 1. its a traditional forms competition 2. i practice all throughly and extensively

1. Bassai dai

Eh. Good form, nothing special to it and EVERYONE does it.

2. Chinto

Front kick or side kick version? If you can do the hand techniques with power, this could be a good form.

3. Rohi

Could be too short. I beleive it to be a very difficult kata to do with timing and explosive power. Some of the "softer" renditions might be easier.

4. Wang shu

5. Kong sang koon

These are probably the two best "tournament forms" that you could choose. Kong San Koon however, does have some monotony in the middle sections. I would choose Wang Shu unless you could keep the judges attention for ALL of KSK. (Do you do Kong Sang Koon Sho?)

thanks for your input

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. Bassai dai

2. Chinto

3. Rohi

4. Wang shu

5. Kong sang koon

thanks for your input

I don't mean to be rude but how is it that your instructor has already taught you Wang Shu and Kong Sang Koon. I leard the the last one at my current rank of 3rd dan (and am still trying to master it) Wang shu I wouldn't learn until I've reached 5th dan (I have to get the invite for 4th and then master first). I know that each association is different but i know the complexity of these forms and at 1st dan level I don't think I would be able to master and perfect these the preceeding forms and learn the ones that came after. Maybe I'm just a slow learner.

Tang Soo!