• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BB test injuries...

Ok, so this last saturday I was one of the four black belts sparring the eleven BB canidates for their test, and something really weird happened; during one of the rounds I was sparring one of the oldest canidates, a 58 year old man who's been a black belt canidate several times in several different styles in his life prior to this, but always had some kind of complication that prevented him from taking the test. This time, though he took it and passed it. But the test was not uneventful.

During our sparring round, he came jumping in for a flying backfist. I, not being used to 58 year old men executing flying backfists, shot my leg up quickly for a sidekick and put a little too much juice into it. He didn't have his ribcage guarded, and the fact that he was moving rather fast combined with my kick not having enough control resulted in a broken rib or two, or so we thought. Showing a ridiculous amount of determination, he finished the rest of the test, which consisted of staff drills, a long staff form, and three board breaks. Everyone said congrats and went home.

Then, on wednesday, I get a call from the chief instructor saying that the guy I was sparring had been admitted into the ICU at the hospital earlier in the day with a collapsed lung. :o

So he got back from the hospital today, and when we were talking on the phone about it (neither of us place blame, and he was still friendly) he told me that the doctors couldn't actually find any signs of a broken rib. :-? An entire team of doctors couldn't figure out exactly how his lung was collapsed without actually being punctured... Their best theory was that there was an air pocket on the outside of the lung that burst and caused the rupture, but they aren't sure. Weird huh?

Cho Dan Hapkidoist and trickster.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wow, that is a strange one. It sounds like he was very cool about the whole situation, though. He showed great respect and integrity. He could very easily be working you over to get you to pay the bills.

I think that it is important for every martial artist to understand that this is what we do, and accidents like this can happen. Your partner hear showed a great attitude, and I hope that more people look to him as an example and do the same.

Wow... that's pretty intense.

As long as we're on the subject, I'll share my "war stories":

The last black belt test was the roughest, a girl got her nose broken, she didn't even say anything until the end. And then she said, "Now I look just like my sensei"

One of our guys was walking... limping... with a crutch for a while afterwards.

That same test, I got kicked in the head twice, once to the jaw, the other to the base of the skull. I had to go the ER. I passed that test.

I failed the test six months before. I got punched in the face and my mouth guard got knocked out of place, I came and punched him, he got me again and my mouth was bleeding a lot.

Good times. :karate:

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

When I was in my ATA school back in Colby, KS, we had a lady that tested for her red belt (belt before black), and at the testing, while breaking boards, I think, she ended up really hurting her ankle. She went home and iced, and thought it just a sprain.

We also had a tournament that weekend. So, we went and competed, and she placed first in both forms and sparring, wearing an ankle brace. The following week, she had it x-rayed, and found out that it was broken!! :o

She really gutted it out, though. I admired her determination.

Wow people like this really deserve a pat on the back, they show bravery and resect ect. This is something i have always worried about for when i take my bb test soon. I have bever seen this happen in our club, just one story i heard once when a guy broke a womans nose, he actually failed his test for using to much aggression, apparantly he was so aggressive with it that it looked like he did it intentially to hurt her!

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I have had good luck with all of my Black Belt tests, but in our school, when we go to HQ to test, many have come back with injuries, like blown knees, torn miniscus, etc. I have been lucky, though. :roll:

Should I feel bad about this??? :-?

I have had a few injuries whilst training, the latest came this week when i had my tooth knocked out. I never said anything as i got sorted the next day at the emergency dentist.

Whilst at judo i have been strangled asleep. Also been arm barred and my elbow went up like a balloon and was stuck at 90% !!!!

Wing chun helps you find the path to ones inner strength. I am getting stronger

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml

I have had good luck with all of my Black Belt tests, but in our school, when we go to HQ to test, many have come back with injuries, like blown knees, torn miniscus, etc. I have been lucky, though. :roll:

:lol: No Brian just tell yourself your really really good :brow:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

:lol: No Brian just tell yourself your really really good :brow:

Thanks, Kerry! :lol: But sometimes, I just can't convince myself to believe me! :lol: