Tang Soo Do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have. What ya need to know? There's a lot of folks on KF besides me that took TSD (I do TKD now do to a move, but still admire TSD), so you can get a lot of info. Let us know what you are looking for/wondering about, bro.

And welcome to KF :)

Laurie F

thanks man, I have a lower belt than I should at this time due to bad timing to inter (I been in it for a year and Im only a 6th gup) so I have a tendency to learn higher forms than I should, do you think I should stop.

John-to the-Boy: 5th gup, TSD

I don't think you should stop. I used to do that all the time (well, I did it again this time, too). If you are good at forms and learn fast, why not, right?

I've been a 1st gup for a little over a year, so I am learning a BB form. I don't see a problem with it.

Laurie F

• 3 weeks later...

I took TSD years ago (back in '80s). It was a World TSD school. I recently went into a WTSD school just to watch and noticed that Grandmaster Jae C. Chin is still alive and kickin' (excuse the pun) :D

I don't remember a whole lot of specifics from my TSD days. I do remember learning Bassai as a brown belt. I have since learned this same form in TKD and Japanese Karate, each a little different.

Ed

Ed

I have heard that many TSD schools and orgs include a version of Bassai Dai. I have heard of a few TKD schools that do so as well. Does TSD have as much of its roots in Shotokan as TKD does?

I have heard that many TSD schools and orgs include a version of Bassai Dai. I have heard of a few TKD schools that do so as well. Does TSD have as much of its roots in Shotokan as TKD does?

I'm told that tangsudo is just Koreanized shotokan, it's more shotokanny than taekwondo but not as shotokanny as shotokan :D

I believe they practice a kata called balsae which is the Korean version of bassai dai.