• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicking technique

Shotokan Dan

Hi

As I'm still fairly new to Karate, I'm having trouble with the sidekicks and roundhouse kicks. Basically, I'm not twisting my hips and turning on the balls of my feet properly when I'm doing the roundhouse, and I'm not positioning my feet correctly when doing the stamping sidekick. My foot seems to go all over the place and have a mind of its own. I'm definitely weaker on my left side, but when we were doing basics the other night, I just couldn't get the movements right at all and was all off balance.

Has anybody got any advice on how to get the kicks right, and also help me to get used to balancing on my other foot when kicking? I'm guessing repetition is the key, but is there anything else and have other people encountered this when starting out?

Cheers

Dan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi there Dan,

I feel ur frustration and was exactly the same. What i found helped is after class just practising by myself. Not aiming for power or speed but just watching what my feet did and correcting them while kicking slowly and methodically. After a while speed it up and make sure ur postitioning is right until it becomes second nature. Make sure u really twist the supporting foot out for balance and twist ur hips into the kick as that is what will propel you into it and generate power. Without the hip movement u may find u will just lose balance. as you speed up you will find your kick becomes more fluid, practising slowly will be jerky as you maintain balance but it will help you see where you are going wrong.

Anyway hope that helps, all the best! :D

Repetition is a big part of it. If you're having trouble with balance, try to hold onto a rail or side of table. If you have a partner, stand far enough away that you won't nail them, hold on to their shoulder and take turns doing side kicks at each other's knees. Another thing to remember, you're just starting out so don't try for the head kicks. Practice getting your technique down by doing low kicks so you don't have to worry about balance and strength so much. Try to do multiple kicks and combinations some times. Once your technique is good, start working on your flexibility and power. You'll find that if your hips are engaging correctly, kicking will be much easier.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Aside from repetition and advice from your sensei and sempais, I'd suggest paying particular attention to warming up your ankle and foot muscles before class.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Hi

As I'm still fairly new to Karate, I'm having trouble with the sidekicks and roundhouse kicks. Basically, I'm not twisting my hips and turning on the balls of my feet properly when I'm doing the roundhouse, and I'm not positioning my feet correctly when doing the stamping sidekick. My foot seems to go all over the place and have a mind of its own. I'm definitely weaker on my left side, but when we were doing basics the other night, I just couldn't get the movements right at all and was all off balance.

Has anybody got any advice on how to get the kicks right, and also help me to get used to balancing on my other foot when kicking? I'm guessing repetition is the key, but is there anything else and have other people encountered this when starting out?

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan, most important bit of advice is don't worry about it - no-one can do side kicks and round kicks to start with for the simple reason that they're difficult! A lot of brown/black belts can't do 'em particularly well either. So just keep trying and don't expect miraculous improvement.

Lots of good advise here so far. What I like to do is use the wall or a rail for balance, and execute slow kicks, locking out the technique and holding it at the end. You can chamber the leg, kick out for 3 seconds, hold for 3, and pull back for 3. This builds strenght and endurance in the leg muscles, and helps you see the mechanics of your kicks.

You can use this drill on almost any kick that you want to do. Start low, around belt level, and then work your way up.

I agree with what everyone has said so far, practise, practise, practise. Try breaking the kick down and doing it slowly, eventually speeding it up. My side thrust kick is very week, and slow but i have just been trying to get the technique right first. We do this a lot with ushiro-geri.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Try breaking the kick down and doing it slowly, eventually speeding it up.

This is great advise....break it down. That is how I try to teach every new technique. When you know all of the component parts, it is much easier to piece the puzzle together.

I have found that practicing techniques very slowly helps me with form & balance. I am forced to remain balanced for the entire move, versus being able to count on getting my foot back down before falling over.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi