• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting Karate, testing Info please!!!!!

poisendhearts

i start my karate classes tommorow, and i know up to 4th or 3rd kyu in techniques, 4th kyu in kumite, and 8th kyu in katas(heian shodan)

should i ask my sensei if i can test in or should i just follow the cirriculum?????? :-?

~josh

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you mean you know them and have done them - aka are proficcent to that belt level or just that you know them? I would stick to the techniques for your level. It's better to impress with good basics than butcher the more complicated stuff

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

I would recommend that you just follow the cirriculum as given to you. If your sensei feels that your skills and abilities warrent a bump in rank then he/she will probably let you skip a rank or two at the appropriate testing time.

Also, even though you may know the same katas and techniques, they are often practiced differently between the many styles of karate--there will probably be some subtle changes to the way you've done them in the past. And if some differences do exist, don't be afraid to ask what the meaning or reasonings behind it are.

If you really feel like you know what you're doing, talk to your sensei and see what his policies are to challenging a level. In our dojo you are allowed to double test, but you can only go test for one rank higher than you would normally be testing for.

Personally though, I'd wait for a couple of tests to make sure you know that you can get through them. You don't want to make a big deal about trying to rank jump and then not be able to pass the test.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I think i would follow the curriculum. Your sensei will be able to see from how you perform, you never know he may just say that you can take the next test! Especially if you can do all these things, if he thinks you are good enough to qualify then he may just say you can grade without you having to ask.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I make it a rule to never question my instructor in regards to when I will rank or why haven't I ranked. Just go with the curriculem. Each schools curriculem is different. What you may need to know for one rank, may be different in another school.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Just go to the testing, with everything in mind, and do whatever it is that he asks of you. He may ask you to demonstrate all of that stuff, and depending on how you do, he may advance you accordingly.

Just be prepared. And if you don't know something, don't worry about it.

When in doubt always go with your sensei's cirriculum. They have the experience and if they feel a deviation from it is necessary they'll tell you. The more you push it the less likely it will be to get an earlier grading, etc.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I would just go there and train hard. If you are proficient to a higher level and your instructor is any good they should pick this up. I have recently had someone new start. Twelve years ago they did goju, and their movement etc. is very good, so he will be testing in the next grading, with a view to double grading him. He did not ask... it was obvious that he skill is beyond white belt, and possibly higher.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

It's a good opportunity for you to consolidate what you already know, whilst refining it to meet the requirements of your current sensei. Patience is a good thing - karate is a lifetime of progress (hopefully)!

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)