• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You can now get a B.A. Degree in MA in the USA?

A Bachelor degree is the equivalent of what Dan?

Then same question for Masters degree, Doctorate, etc...

I know its silly. But humour me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another program at a school in Wisconsin USA.

http://www.auusa.org/

I had a friend who worked on a master's degree there, but didn't complete it due to family obligations. He liked the program while he was in it. As far as rank related to the degrees offered, they were separate in his case. He was already 7th Dan Kukkiwon (Taekwondo) when he started the program. His rank would not have been affected as a direct result of him finishing. He told me he was doing the program to become a better instructor.

Kukkiwon does make unique exception for graduates of Taekwondo B.A. programs in Korea. If one begins a TKD degree program as a 3rd Dan, they are eligible to test for 4th Dan upon graduation.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I STILL don't know about this!! I STILL don't like to compare MA rank with University level degree's because the study model, imho, aren't the same!! Some of the posts here have made valid points on both sides of the conversation, however, application isn't the same thing as in knowledge, unless, through said University, effective applied knowledge is taught AND learnt.

But, in todays modern world, anything is possible and they don't have to be in concert with my thought and/or opinion.

So, why not?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I wouldn't mind have a BA in MA, just for the novelty if nothing else! I know many colleges hold various classes, so I imagine the study tract would be to take a lot of the different classes, mixing Kung Fu with Karate. I wonder if you could use it in place of a degree for something related like physical education where some jobs might require it.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I feel like a bachelors in Martial Arts would be pigeonholing yourself a bit. It's a very narrow field not applicable to all that much else. You could run your own school, teach martial arts or possibly become a gym teacher or personal trainer. That's about it. Not too many options.

That said-- it would be totally awesome as a second bachelors or for someone absolutely 100% sure that's what they want to do with their life. I'd also love to have minored in it just for fun and personal development alongside my more practical (for me) major.

I feel like a bachelors in Martial Arts would be pigeonholing yourself a bit. It's a very narrow field not applicable to all that much else. You could run your own school, teach martial arts or possibly become a gym teacher or personal trainer. That's about it. Not too many options.

That said-- it would be totally awesome as a second bachelors or for someone absolutely 100% sure that's what they want to do with their life. I'd also love to have minored in it just for fun and personal development alongside my more practical (for me) major.

I think you are correct here. Very narrow field of study. However, if you go alongside general athletic training and similar courses, it can augment your knowledge to cover more than just martial arts curriculum. There are some good possibilities. But narrow still.

Bob, I understand your concerns. Think of classes covering physical training, philosophy, class design and management, etc. There are lots of sports management programs, athletic training programs, etc in many colleges. Why not some with an MA focus?

I also agree that it seems to pigeonhole the recipient of the degree quite a lot. I've met a few folks with such degrees from Korean schools. They are certainly excellent MAists, and their schools are doing well. As much as the intensive study of MA would be in a university would be exciting, I'm not it would be what I'd want to bank my future on. I would think a masters of business administration would be a better idea in order to help with the business aspects of running a school.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I also agree that it seems to pigeonhole the recipient of the degree quite a lot. I've met a few folks with such degrees from Korean schools. They are certainly excellent MAists, and their schools are doing well. As much as the intensive study of MA would be in a university would be exciting, I'm not it would be what I'd want to bank my future on. I would think a masters of business administration would be a better idea in order to help with the business aspects of running a school.
When you get a BA in Culinary Arts you are essentially getting a business degree so I imagine that this would be similar.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I dont have a problem with this. It has NO RELATION to rank though it would have a complementary relationship with rank.

I would respect someone for taking their intellectual studies to that level and it would certainly prove their genuine interest in MA and knowledge of the course work but it would in no way make them qualified to teach MA or even more qualified than someone without a degree.

Would it act as an additional shingle to hang in a dojo next to your teaching certification. Absolutely. Would it dazzle some parents of prospective students, Most probably, does it make you a better Martial artist, absolutely not, nothing replaces mat time.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK