• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You can now get a B.A. Degree in MA in the USA?

The University of Bridgeport, in Bridgeport, CT, is the first American college to offer a bachelor's degree in MA.

They have a curriculum set up for the students, who have to obtain 120 credit hours in order to graduate. They can study Karate, Taekwondo, or Tai-Chi at the university, and have a balance of liberal arts courses along with courses on Eastern religion, philosophy, and cultutal history as well. Also required are 12 credit hours in either Korean, Japanese, or Mandarin Chinese languages.

What do you think? I think it would be interesting. I am not sure I would seriously consider attending a school like that before I had another bachelor's degree, but it would be something to hang on the dojang wall. More certification oppurtunities.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it is an actual Bachelor's Degree. I don't what else would accredit it?

I will have to look to see if it is the equivalent of a state university or a private university.

It would probably be great if you are going to plan on running a school after graduating.

Manditory time for MA, and you get a degree?

Sign me up! :lol:

Seriously. i would definately influence my decision to join a particular school should the owner have one. I would for sure want to see a Curriculum(sp?) before I bought into it fully.

There is no teacher but the enemy.

OOOO that sounds interesting. I think if something like that was available in the uk i would go for it. I would love to be able to do something like that. You get so many degree's and diploma's in so many other subjects. yes you can get a sports science degree where maybe it may touch on MA, but to get a degree in MA itself would be cool.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Too bad its all the way in conneticut. I went to the website of the university and read up on it. Here is the website, also if you look around you can read about each specific class you have to take for the degree. Looks very interesting.

http://www.bridgeport.edu/pages/3868.asp

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

wow thats great. i wish they had some more arts to choose from though.

So do I. The focus is on Tai Chi, Karate, or Taekwondo. It mainly covers the far east, what they consider to be the 3 most popular styles at this time, if I remember reading it right. Some of the cultural courses would be very interesting.

It is strange that the site does not mention Karate, but what I read in TKD Times did mention it.