• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Boxing stance in karate?

Andrew_Patton

Ever since I could remember I've adopted a "boxer's stance" for kumite, that was until quite recently, when I sparred a Shorin-Kan shorin-ryu student who utilized a more traditional stance, front arm in a middle block position, hand open, back hand in hikite, and relaxed, but long-ish stance.

Standing across the ring from him, I thought he was a joke, but that was until he practically destroyed me, the amount of power and speed this guy had comparitively speaking was mind-blowing, I couldn't even touch him, and it reminded me very much of the old story of Choki Motobu and the boxer.

So which stance do you prefer in kumite practice? and have you had any experiences like mine?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take what would be called a boxer's stance, I guess. My body doesn't face front completely, though. I am at more of a 45 degree angle, keeping my body away fron the opponent. However, I try to keep my hands up in the boxer postition. This seems to work the best for me, defensively. I don't find a problem being offensive from the stance, either.

I guess with us it does look a bit like a boxing stance, but i suppose when we do freestyle sparring it can be any stance you feel comfortable with. I don't see how a stance can make you a better fighter. Karateka's tend to have their own stance, everyone is different.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Standing across the ring from him, I thought he was a joke, but that was until he practically destroyed me, the amount of power and speed this guy had comparitively speaking was mind-blowing, I couldn't even touch him, and it reminded me very much of the old story of Choki Motobu and the boxer.

There was alot of discussion of the merits of each at:

http://www.karateforums.com/shotokan-sparring-stance-vt16517.html?highlight=stance

To be honest with you, that guy you speak of would probably be equally has fast and powerful regardless of his starting position, and against someone of lesser skill it really wouldnt matter what stance he used, but against someone of equal or higher skill, or in a situation of surprise then you need to look at the position that gives you the most advantage, gives you the most access to your tools and enhances your reflexive responses. For me personally, and alot of others, thats a position is identical to, or similar to the boxing stance. (hands open and more evenly forward in self protection situations to calm the situation and appear passive.)

How have you faired using the boxing stance so far? What have you experiences of the pro's and con's of it been?

I looked up on the web "fighting stance" because I wasn't sure what the stance I use would be called. Seems new students are taught something similar to the kempo fighting stance, but in practice we follow more of a tae kwon do fighting stance. Distinctly odd, I had noticed that there was a difference between them before though. As far as hands in a boxing position or not, sometimes that is taught, especially to punchers (ie people who punch much more than they kick).

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Stance wise I generally use a cat stance in sparring, because it's my most familiar stance. I also like utilizing it due to kicking ease.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

There was alot of discussion of the merits of each at:

http://www.karateforums.com/shotokan-sparring-stance-vt16517.html?highlight=stance

To be honest with you, that guy you speak of would probably be equally has fast and powerful regardless of his starting position, and against someone of lesser skill it really wouldnt matter what stance he used, but against someone of equal or higher skill, or in a situation of surprise then you need to look at the position that gives you the most advantage, gives you the most access to your tools and enhances your reflexive responses. For me personally, and alot of others, thats a position is identical to, or similar to the boxing stance. (hands open and more evenly forward in self protection situations to calm the situation and appear passive.)

How have you faired using the boxing stance so far? What have you experiences of the pro's and con's of it been?

Why thank you for that link, that thread is quite informative.

Well, I think I'm going to slowly transition toward utilizing the stance and what I see as more of a traditional approach (actual, full reverse punches, etc.) in fact a few days before this sparring session happened I commented that the boxer's stance wasn't a karate thing.

personally, I am not that confident in my kicks, so I tend to use (more or less) the 'boxer's stance'. As mentioned before though, he probably was just very fast instead of having a vastly superior stance, so doing what works well for him does not mean that it will fit you. How you fight and defend could change what options are best as well. Are you looking for a strong base at the expense of speed for grappling ? Kicks over punching?

... On the other hand, it is always good to experiment and learn as much as you can. Not only will it help you find your stance, but it will help you learn the pros and cons of stances that opponents could employ.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I've always adopted a boxing stance as well for sparring, although I haven't done much of it yet. I find it helps me to dodge punches and kicks more easily, as well as giving me a good defence against jabs because my arms are covering my face. I can manoeuvre more quickly with it as well.Quite similar to boxing itself I would imagine, where you need to protect against a series of jabs at times.