• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weight training

Fish

Would I benefit from weight training? I have never done it before. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 175 pounds. I'm not skinny, nor overweight. I train twice a week at karate (3 and half hrs in total), run twice a week and swim once a week.

Would a weights routine be a good idea? If so, what sort of training and how often?

Any advice gratefully received.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It can never hurt (unless you drop them) to add some kind of weight training. As long as you don't go stupid. Ask your sensei what kind of training would benifit you.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

Weight training is great, and can be very beneficial. I would recommend talking to a certified personal trainer about what you do, what you want to be able to do, and then they can help you get something set up to meet your specific training goals.

Weight training is great, and can be very beneficial. I would recommend talking to a certified personal trainer about what you do, what you want to be able to do, and then they can help you get something set up to meet your specific training goals.

Agreed. Weights are an excillent thing to add to your training, and like bushido man mentioned, talk to a personal trainer first so you can plan your routine and learn the correct way to perform each movement.

• 4 weeks later...

I am 5'11", 175 and relatively slender. I lift weights and have for years. You will benefit, no two ways about it. Just make sure you warm up, stretch well, and stretch again after you lift. It's easy to tighten up with heavy lifting if you don't.

Oh, and drink LOTS of water.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.