• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

I think that it is fun to see the cross over of techniques and applications from different sources.

If you can find a couple of different sources, then it probably has some merit.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two forms with a similar segment in them; Do San and Won Hyo hyungs. My concern is that I don't think I would ever try to strike someone in the solar plexus with a spear hand. It just isn't a very reliable strike, in my opinion, especially if someone has a strong core.

You could just use a vertical fist instead. The same movement would apply, you'd just be closing the hand. Spear hands are quite effective though. I've smacked my dad in the stomach before when we were messing around and it does take the wind out of you. I agree though that if the guys got solid muscle there its probably not as effective.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Cross training is always good, joe. At least in my book. I agree about the effectiveness of the spear hand, just isn't there most of the time.

Class to be taken each Saturday

Self-defense JuJitsu techniques against:

- two kinds of pushes (ag. body, head)

- two encircling grabs (one that you are grabbed, the other that you intercept)

Home

Leg stretches

Front swing kicks

Kicking exercises lying on floor:

- roundhouse and side kicks

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

Pyung Ahn E Dan--first half

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Leg stretches

Front swing kicks

Kicking exercises lying on floor:

- roundhouse and side kicks

Sparring exercises; Self-defense techniques

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

Pyung Ahn E Dan--first half*

Due to a death in her family, others will be substituting for my teacher in the upcoming week. I studied the video of the next moves after the halfway mark, trying them carefully, hoping to make them easier to know when she returns. Testing is scheduled for Friday, February 6.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

today-

1 mile run

legs, heavy on the squats

still taking it easy on the shoulders and crossfit till my shoulder gets a bit better.

still taking it easy on the shoulders and crossfit till my shoulder gets a bit better.

Where is it in the shoulder, Tallgeese? In an earlier posting (Thursday?), you mentioned the biceps tendon. Is it where the biceps meets the deltoids?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Yeah, it's in that region. Feels like it's where it runs thru the groove. We'll see, hope it's not more.

today-

6, 2 min rounds on the mitt gloves. start with a defense and combo. add more strikes by end of round 1. add a trapping motion to clear lead hand and strike. add leg check for MT round as well as a pummel off a charge and corner by the final rounds. pretty free form drill, no set pattern, holders choice.

4, 3 min rounds of of limited engagment sparring. defense centric stuff. followed by combo development

2, 3 min rounds of free sparring to takedown

6, 3 min rounds of free roll from standing

1-17-09

15 mintues of stick work in the morning. 10 minutes with double, and 5 minutes on the single.

The muscles were feeling pretty good from the week's workout.