• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

The kipping pull up is one where you allow leg swing and an ab pull to assist with momentum to aid in completeing a rep. It's real useful in both helping to complete a higher number of reps and developing core power.

Thanks. Are these good if you can't get a regular rep in yet? What else is good for developing those pull-up muscles, specifically?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they are helpful in developing those full repetitions.

You could also try assisted pullups until you can pull full reps, these are very helpful. Just moe a bix or bench or such over under your bar and give light upward pressure up with your toes on each rep. There are fancy machines that do the same thing as well.

Think about doing rope climbs too if you can hang one somwhere. A tree in the backyard, ect. I've got one suspended from the celeing in my garage that lets me get 4-5 good hand over hand pulls in. This is a great exercise as well.

In the gym, hit hte pull downs, rows, ect for development of the same sort of power structure.

More than anything, just keep working the pull up, assisted if you have to. But keep tugging away.

Leg stretches

Front swing kicks

Kicking exercises lying on floor:

- roundhouse and side kicks

Sparring exercises; Self-defense techniques*

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

*Either I've found or am realizing a disguised "end position" in a self-defense technique. This one has you end in a semi-twist position. To me, it's an arrested cross or hook punch.

If so, this is the second disguised "end position," the first one shown to me by the former assistant instructor, that it was actually a continuation of a groin strike.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Leg stretches

Front swing kicks

Sparring exercises; Self-defense techniques

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

today-

8, 2 min rounds on the mit/gloves (4 holding, 4 active). focus on holder calling a set combo, work in constant jab work. always moving. add coverage from all shots. increse complexity of called combos and their integration with defense and/or integration with single strikes. last round the active worker picks timiing and intiates takedown. we used a double, high single variations free form.

15 min instructinal block on triangle/arm bars from guard

5, 3 min rounds of free roll

4, 3 min rounds of mma sparring

Class with my sons.

- Back kicks, with me on my knees, wearing a "squeaky" target (velcro strap held it in place) around my midsection. Our teacher helped the boys with balance, as they had to look first, then kick accurately and hard enough to hear the squeak. :)

- Self-defense techniques

- Pyung Ahn Cho Dan (paired with our teacher as the guide)

Home

Leg stretches

Front swing kicks

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

tallgeese: Thanks for the replies. Our gym does have an assisted pull-up machine, but it feels like it doesn't allow for the full range...at the end position, my chin is still below the bar line. In the end, it sounds like I need a day in the gym to focus on my back more.

As I am not great at pull-ups yet, do you recommend a method for me to focus on as a beginner: hands out, hands in, shoulder wide grip, or wider grip?

1-12-09

Chest/triceps

Seated chest: 130x15, 170x10, 210x8, 270x2

Vertical butterfly: 100x12, 115x10, 130x6

Triceps push-down: 105x10, 120x6, 6

Biceps dumbell curls: 25x10, 30x6, 35x4

Abs

Cable crunches: 105x20, 15, 15

Cable trunk twists: 70x10x3

Cardio: bike for around 15 minutes.

Leg stretches

Front swing kicks

Sparring exercises; Self-defense techniques

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

1-13-08

Prior to class, I did my initial test for the 100 push ups thread. I did 21.

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. We did forms review tonight, and I did all the way up to my 3rd dan form, Yoo Sin. 15 forms in all. I felt strong throughout, too.