• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

That is a bummer, Joe. Its the only downfall of the holiday season.

We had an icestorm today, so I didn't make it to class. Instead, I got to stay home and make supper for the kids, while the wife was coming home from work (an hour away). Adventures in cooking with me never turn out too great...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You had an icestorm in your part of the country, Brian, and I had a snowstorm that killed class at night. I was looking forward to one more class before the Xmas-New Year's break, and to give the chief instructor presents (a book from me, a box of chocolates from the boys) for Xmas.

Leg stretches

Sparring exercises; self-defense techniques

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Leg raises

Leg stretches

Self-defense techniques

WaveMaster:

- front kicks, different types

- crescent kicks (w/ bag paddle)

- roundhouses, w/ & w/o step

- roundhouses, MT-type

- side kicks, w/ & w/o step, hop

- back kick, w/ & w/o hop

Practiced a back kick from a sparring combo I worked on with a green belt last class. He threw a roundhouse and I turned, taking it in the shoulder, but responding w/ a back kick. There was more to the combo, but this is what I took out to practice.

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

Edited by joesteph

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

You would lool over your left shoulder . . . [Y]ou do a quick switch of the feet, and throw the kick. . . . [Y]ou switch both feet fast to get the spin. Its really good when in closer than normal.

I'm trying it out by starting in a right stance, looking over my left shoulder, doing a fast hop of the right leg to about where the left was, and shooting the left straight back. I've also tried it in the left stance.

I can see it's for closer quarters when you want to back kick but there isn't the room for a regular one.

Yeah, I really like it, and it doesn't require much of a jump. I refer to it as a switching stance kick, or "switch kick." You can do it with a round kick, too; you just switch forward instead of back. Nice variations.

Brian, I've included the "switch" for the back kick "hops" that I practice. Against a WaveMaster, you can keep back kicking, switching every time the kicking foot returns to the floor.

The reference to switching for roundhouse kicks is something my instructor did introduce, but as the art dictates, so I had no speed. When I spar, I switch left lead and right lead hands, thinking of punching, but I've been experimenting with the same switch for the roundhouses, and it's become more natural, speedier to do, if I do it as you suggested.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Leg raises

Leg stretches

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

Sparring exercises, bag paddle blocks, self-defense techniques

Lying side and roundhouse kick exercises

Core kickboxing DVD workout

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

today

5, 2 min rounds of mitts. lead hand combo finish with a cross, add defense agaist punches at the front, go to knees as well, then mitt holder shoots at end of series and striker defends with sprawl and choke.

3, 2 min rounds limited engagement sparring. defense vs stright puches and hooks. add takedown to defensive options

20 instructional block and reps of defending vs. the triangle and armbar

3, 2 min rounds free roll

2,2 min rounds of free roll with strikes

everyone had 5 min round robin vs. eveyone else. 1 min rounds, fresh opponont each minute. Everyone took center once, sparred once as an outside man in eveyone elses.

Brian, I've included the "switch" for the back kick "hops" that I practice. Against a WaveMaster, you can keep back kicking, switching every time the kicking foot returns to the floor.

Joe, when you land, are you then firing off and kicking with the other leg? You can do a mini switch back kick set here, if you have a timer or something. Set if for 15 or 30 seconds, and do a set or two. Good burner, if you feel you have your technique down well enough to focus on reps like this. If not, then focus on the technique, until you feel confident in it.

The reference to switching for roundhouse kicks is something my instructor did introduce, but as the art dictates, so I had no speed. When I spar, I switch left lead and right lead hands, thinking of punching, but I've been experimenting with the same switch for the roundhouses, and it's become more natural, speedier to do, if I do it as you suggested.

Something that may make this faster for you is doing the 45 degree round kick, like shown in the Revolution of Kicking tutorials we watched. This version is easier to control, I think, and will be a touch faster for you, as well. However, it isn't the "full" round kick.

Another variation of the switch round kick you can do is like this: instead of switching your feet and kicking, instead, do a siccor type motion with your feet, without switching the lead hand. The lead leg will be crossed and behind what was your rear foot. Then, unleash the kick with the leg crossed behind you, which was your lead leg. It might be another trick you can use. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

12-19-08

Front leg front thrusting kick: 3x10 each side.

Jab: 3x20 each side.

Back leg front thrusting kick: 3x10 each side.

Cross: 2x20 each side.

12-22-08

Defensive Tactics: 8:30 - 10:20. We did a lot of stick work today, and it was quite fun. We worked off some Close Quarters Combatives material, and to top it off, my workout partner bought me a pair of sticks while he was travelling, so we could work together. Merrry Christmas to me!

Another variation of the switch round kick you can do is like this: instead of switching your feet and kicking, instead, do a siccor type motion with your feet, without switching the lead hand. The lead leg will be crossed and behind what was your rear foot. Then, unleash the kick with the leg crossed behind you, which was your lead leg. It might be another trick you can use. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Actually, Brian, that's the way my instructor wants us to switch legs for round kicks, as it's according to the art. I've found it fine when doing sparring exercises, ones that my instructor puts together (or takes from a source) in which we do a chain of three-to-four moves. It works when going back-and-forth with a partner; it's not as fast as the switch you first mentioned when sparring, in that we're moving all around the dojang. Maybe it's something I can use as a surprise in that it's practiced, but not used by the students. I can see one of the reasons that it's required to take a certain amount of time in-between belt levels; the instructor needs the time to press her students into using some sort of variety in their sparring!

:)

Self-defense techniques

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu