• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

12-11-2008

well today I did 20 pushups on my knuckles, 40 cruches, 20 leg raises, 40 reverse crunches, 10 pushups with my hands forming a triangle, 80 squats

I try to stick to this workout because it uses most of the major muscles used, then after than, I practiced punches kicks, and my kata

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to stick to this workout because it uses most of the major muscles used, then after than, I practiced punches kicks, and my kata

Sounds like you know what you're doing, Ranpu. I hope your friends do the same. Everybody working to stay in shape together is a bond.

:)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Home

Leg stretches

Class

Quite a number of different calisthetic and stretching exercises; kicking against the kick shield; concentration on strong, through-the-target punches; hyungs; self-defense techniques

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

12-10-08

Push-ups: 15, 2x5 with my son crawling on my back. Those are fun.

12-11-08

Front kicks: 3x10 each side, back leg, not much higher than waist level. I focused on more of a thrusting kick, than a snapping kick, as I don't care for the snap kick as much.

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. We went through basics without as many rest breaks, which was nice, and although I get tired, I feel like I am still fairly strong. The last bit of basics, we got to do our own combinations down the floor, and the last set we did as slow techniques, which was a nice change.

We then reviewed a lot of forms, which is always nice. I slowed down my form a bit, and broke it down to work on some things. I got to thinking about it so much that I miss-matched a section of it. That's ok, though...I fixed it. :D

After one-steps, when class was over, we messed around with one of them, which has a takedown with a punch follow-up. One of the colored belts was asking about trying to put on an ankle lock after being taken down, and from there, we got into the resistance/fighting it game. The good thing about this is it makes you think about having to deal with someone who isn't going to just lay there. Since my ground game is rather non-existent, I would tend to revert back to strikes, but that isn't always good on the ground.

My question is, how would I work to train this aspect with partners, to work into the more resistance stuff, and is there something in particular I should focus on?

Edited by bushido_man96

Today-

modified crossfit:

3 rounds of-

50 squats

21 pullups

21 dips

10 hanging power cleans, 95 lbs

back/bi's/shoulders (gotta stop tacking them on as a chest afterthought)

As to bushido man's question, I like doing resistive training out of all sorts of stuff. There are all sorts of level you can take this to.

The first is probibly just stress innoculation. After a takedown say, just have the uke attempt to defend or punch you back, however he wants. That will get you used to some one actually trying to fight back. Just do a few rounds of this to get warm.

Now move onto giving the uke two or three defenses to work against you. In your example, we'll say -clearing the foot from a possible lock just by yanking it back or kicking upward with the fee foot. Keep it simple to start.

Now, you practice a counter to each of those a few times. Let's say he pulls the foot in and you swing it to the side to take side. If he kicks you elbow parry to the side and take side mount. Same end result (making it easier) but different entries (focus on one thing).

Once you rep those a bit. Let him do which ever he wants. Then you respond accordingly. Start picking up speed and eventually, put some gear on and start working up the "live" ladder with just those skills.

As your comfort with those movements increase, start adding other optioins. Spontanaity is the key once you start training this way and response to attack and end result will be much more important than which movements you use to get there.

That's kind of the progression that I use. Also, don't discount striking from this range. Personally, I'd rather keep my feet under me and put strikes donw than wrestling some guy on the street. Practice this to, you can put to gether the same type of progression for that as the above example.

I hope that helps give an outline. Let me know if I muddled it up too much. But you're on to a really good training method there.

today, I had my friend over so we had a competition

I did 80 pushups, 100 crunches, 20 squats, then I practiced kicks, punches as well as the seisan kata

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me

Thanks for the tips there, tallgeese. That helps. I guess the key is, instead of trying to be what I'm not at this point (a grappler), trying to use what I know to rectify the situation.

One of my concerns, though, is with work, if I took a guy down, and he attempted to squirrel away, or drag me down, is can I get away with striking a downed guy?

Also, I made a change to my workout listed above; I did some front kicking before my TKD class, and I plan on trying to do more of it, to just get more kicking work in.