The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

I'm back!

today-

4, 2 min rounds on the mitts. combos to elbows and knees, to forearm strikes

2, 3 min rounds of hard sparring with gear, focus on boxing

3, 3 min rounds of free roll

2, 2 min rounds of free roll with striking

Not even too sore in the shoulder. Of course, that's after about a half of bottle of ibuprophen. We'll see how the day goes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe: have you tried doing a quick, switching foot reverse back/side kick? Its quite fun, and may fall into what you have been working on.

Brian, let's say I'm facing my opponent in a front stance, right leg forward. Do I turn to my left to turn around, then switch legs, and kick with the "farther" leg from my opponent in this position, which would be my right leg?

If I picture it right, I'm sure I can do it. One more surprise in the arsenal.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

You would lool over your left shoulder, but instead of turning like normal, you do a quick switch of the feet, and throw the kick. So its a spin back kick, but you switch both feet fast to get the spin. Its really good when in closer than normal.

You would lool over your left shoulder . . . [Y]ou do a quick switch of the feet, and throw the kick. . . . [Y]ou switch both feet fast to get the spin. Its really good when in closer than normal.

I'm trying it out by starting in a right stance, looking over my left shoulder, doing a fast hop of the right leg to about where the left was, and shooting the left straight back. I've also tried it in the left stance.

I can see it's for closer quarters when you want to back kick but there isn't the room for a regular one.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Ok, really back now. Got a second in today.

Light (and I stress light) chest and tris. Shoulder is so far so good.

Class with my sons tonight. Concentration on Pyung Ahn Cho Dan again, with the boys slowly improving in knife hand blocks, and grappling done as well. (With grappling, after they push back at me, the "stranger," and yell No! and Stop!, they work on the takedown, jump on me, and squash me as best they can. Beaten up by two seven-year-olds!)

:)

Invitation to observe a special JiuJitsu class on Saturday right at my dojang. During the week, some days (after karate) are for Judo, the others for JiuJitsu. The JJ classes on Saturdays lean more towards "street-fighting" techniques, so my instructor thought I'd be interested--and she's right.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

today-

6, 2 min rounds on mitts. Started with combo, add slipping the jab work, to elbow, defend takedown with sprawl.

20 min instructinal, passing the mount. worked on this.

6, 3 min rounds of free roll. From the knees, 30 sec rest, no out bouts.

2, 3 min rounds of free roll from standing

1, 3 min mma round of sparring.

Class tonight with my sons, David and Patrick. Since receiving more individual attention with the new schedule, have come along with new self-defense techniques, and can do Pyung Ahn Cho Dan with their instructor or with me.

They received a second orange stripe on their orange belts. :)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

You would lool over your left shoulder . . . [Y]ou do a quick switch of the feet, and throw the kick. . . . [Y]ou switch both feet fast to get the spin. Its really good when in closer than normal.

I'm trying it out by starting in a right stance, looking over my left shoulder, doing a fast hop of the right leg to about where the left was, and shooting the left straight back. I've also tried it in the left stance.

I can see it's for closer quarters when you want to back kick but there isn't the room for a regular one.

Yeah, I really like it, and it doesn't require much of a jump. I refer to it as a switching stance kick, or "switch kick." You can do it with a round kick, too; you just switch forward instead of back. Nice variations.

12-1-08

Chest/triceps

Bench press: 155x10, 185x8, 205x4

Triceps push-downs: 90x10, 105x8, 8

Biceps

Dumbell curls: 25x10, 30x8, 35x4

Legs

Lunges: 2x10, alternating

FL front kick chamber and hold: 2x10 each side

Abs

Cable crunches: 70x20, 105x15, 10

Combat Hapkido class: 10:00 - 11:00. We worked off the beaten path today. We did some kicks on the ground from the lying power position, and also did some trips from the position. We also did a bag kicking drill where we worked pretty hard to keep the bag holder from getting close to you while on the ground. We then worked on some scenario stuff a bit, back to the wall, from a fence position. It wasn't anything overly impressive, but it was a start.

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. I taught class tonight, but I got some work in, too. Broke a little sweat, and reviewed some stuff. Changed up basics a bit, too. Toward the end of class, I worked with the students (mostly kids) on how the knife hand strike we do in basics can transition into its very own self-defense technique, complete with blocking, seizing (if there), and the strike itself. I thought it went well. If anything, maybe it'll give them a reason to see why its so important to practice the basics hard.

12-3-08

Side kicks on floor: 2x10 each side.

I also have been working on breaking down the push-up portion of the burbee, as I don't bounce off my chest and explode up very well.

Burpee push-ups: 6, followed by 6 regular push-ups. 2 sets.