• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

11-25-08

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. Class was smaller this evening, so we got to do some form review. It was a good time. I didn't get too tired, and managed to stay strong throughout.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, am I sick of my bum shoulder already.

I've seen you refer to your shoulder and tendinitis, Tallgeese. I've dealt with it in both knees, my right shoulder, and "tennis elbow" in my right forearm. My tendinitis came from weight-training, and even doing weight-training and martial arts at the same time. It does limit you.

Tendinitis in my right shoulder came from doing heavy bench presses along with a lot of shoulder work. MA training sessions only added to it, doing the same moves repeatedly. Do you bench heavy or do shoulder work with weights? If you do, what worked for me was to end the shoulder work; in particular, I was doing lateral raises with dumbbells, and that "unnatural" motion put a lot of strain on the deltoids. My shoulder tendinitis was not in the middle of the side of the shoulder, but off-center, to the rear.

I used anti-inflammatories for a period of time, then figured out how to avoid the problem. Have you seen a doctor?

Home after overeating for Thanksgiving

Leg Stretches

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Nice, I think we've probibily all indulged today.

Yeah, I think it's from benching by and large. I'm taking it off the weights this week. We'll see how it feels by nest week. It is better today.

Leg stretches

Too long since I used the WaveMaster: :karate:

WaveMaster:

- variety of front kicks

- crescent kicks (bag paddle)

- side kicks, w/ and w/o step

- roundhouses, w/ and w/o step

- roundhouses, MT style

- back kicks (donkey style and "quick step"*)

*"Hop" or "quick step" experiment by taking the back leg, hop/quick step it forward, and still kick donkey style with the lead leg. Sometimes okay as donkey kick, but sometimes looked like a "reverse side kick" as the foot struck. Quick Step donkey kick style needs more coordination than reverse side kick style; both called "back kicks" according to Revolution of Kicking DVD. Will settle for "in between" if can do with speed and control.

One-step sparring; self-defense techniques :)

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

Have practiced hyungs so much lately that my form is better, but still have to watch not starting with one hyung and going into another! :o

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Good and sore from yesterday! :D

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan--Orange belt form that my boys have to learn. Spent time with them doing the moves, especially the hardest part, at the end, when they have to use knife hands after using only fists in the basic forms and most of this one. They're only seven, and I'm very happy with how they try.

:nod:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Joe: have you tried doing a quick, switching foot reverse back/side kick? Its quite fun, and may fall into what you have been working on.