• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

Creating space for disengagement can often be overlooked, espically if you train in an art that empahsises some form of joint control or even in-fighting from the trapping range. I had a tough time adding it to my game.

I think that it's a must if you're gonna train with any weapon and plan to access it during a fight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today-

8, 3 min rounds of mitt work (4 training, 4 holding) moving from double jab to combos with defenses. Heavy focus on defending today. Tie up at end.

20 min instructional, guard escapes, sweeps.

6, 3 min rounds of free roll, 30 sec. rest

1, 5 min round of free roll, naga rules from feet

chest and tris

He really stressed that disengaging is ok, and that to not force something that isn't there.

Did he say anything special you should do when you disengage, Brian? Is it that you should move in to re-engage, or did he feel that the separation would help to defuse the situation? (That once apart, your adversary might take off.)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

He said that it was ok to push away and create space. From there, you can re-evaluate, and re-engage if needed, or try to get away. We didn't work on re-entering or anything like that.

11-10-08

Gym

Leg press: 230x20x3

Dumbell bench press: 70x10, 75x6, 80x4

Shoulder press: 84x10, 89x8, 95x6

Cable trunk twists: 50x10, 70x10x2

Decline sit-ups: 40 (very slight decline)

Cable shio-nage motion: 70x10, 50x10, done on each side

Pull-ups: 2 partial

Combat Hapkido class: 10:15 - 11:15. Reviewed the yellow belt curriculum, and then moved into the orange belt stuff. We spent a lot of time on the arm bars, working on minor technicalities, and trapping and distracting at the same time. On the cross grabs, we spent a lot of time on shio-nage, which is still giving me some fits. We also spent quite a bit of time on the breakaways, focusing on our foot position for follow-up attacks, and on footwork for trapping.

Home

Leg stretches

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

Class with my children

And spoke with my teacher, who has no problem with me taking private sparring lessons with the instructor I'm trying to reconnect with.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Good second round for today-

department night shoot:

classroom on fighting at night, light discipline, use of shadows for approach, ect.

live fire-

trainng rounds on the line

qualification string

tactical course

I love hitting the range.

today-

1 mile run

crossfit (modified)

3 rounds of:

1 min max rep of each-

dumbell swing with a press at the end

sumo dead lift high pull

box jumps

push press

lat row

back/bis

2, 2 min rounds of knife work to cool down

That's a bummer, Joe. Keep looking....

11-11-08

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. Class was good tonight. I have been focusing on my cross-over side kicks during basics, and am not worry about the speed so much. The way do it is pretty much a training tool more than anything, so I try to approach it that way, and work on the speed with the way I would actually throw the kick. Sparring was ok tonight, although I get tired so fast. My conditioning is really pretty non-existent. I would start the match with my side-on stance, but would gradually move to my more comfortable Boxing stance. I am getting better with lead leg kicks, especially the side kick, and even got some head-high round kicks today. The green belt I sparred with was terribly suceptible to them tonight. But, it makes him think about getting his hands up. I really wish there were some more students at my rank to work with, to really push myself a bit more.