• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

10-25-08

Aikido class: 10:00 - 12:00. Some of the basic movements I am getting better at. Some are still confusing. My rolls and breakfalls are getting better, too, as far as Aikido standards go. For technique work, we worked on a few side entering throws from an upset knifehand attack (yokomenuchi tenshin irimi nage). We also did some defense against the downward knife hand attacks, doing variations depending on where in the attack it was stopped.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today-

15 min instructinal block on arm triangles, multiple positions

4, 2 min rounds of limited engagment rolling. focus on guard attacks and escapes

10, 3 min rounds of free roll. naga rules. i tried to work on my throws and shots heavily during these rounds since it's my weak link, less pulling to guard.

At home:

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung (just past half as taught by instructor; used DVD and book to do a rough completion)

Class at Night:

Was my children's class. Manned two stations. David did takedowns with me, while Patrick worked with a dan member. Little ones are good at getting you behind the knee. :)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Today-

chest/tris

4, 2 min rounds on the mitts

1, 2 min rounds on the kick shield

3, 3 min rounds of sparring, mma focus

15 min instructional review covering sweep series

3, 3 min rounds of free roll

15 min of small joint manipulation training, standing jj.

crossfit (modified)-

7 rounds of:

10 pullups

10 burpees

Alright, seriously, time to eat and collapse. Too bad I gotta work this afternoon. A nap sounds nice too.

10-27-08

Chest/triceps

Seated chest: 130x10, 150x10, 170x10

Triceps press: 215x8, 8, 6

Vertical butterfly: 100x10, 115x8, 130x6

Back/biceps/shoulders

Lat pull-down: 141x10, 148x10, 154x8

Seated row: 115x10, 130x8, 145x6

Barbell curls: 70x10, 10, 10

Abs

Decline crunches: 3x15

Hanging knee raises: 3x10

Combat Hapkido: 10:10 - 11:00. Worked on yellow and orange belt material, and then did some of my red belt material.

I talk alot about working on the Combat Hapkido material, but I don't elaborate a whole lot on the material itself, so it must sound kind of vague. So, I guess I'll divulge a bit more discription here.

Yellow and orange belt start with some simple breakaways, where we break a grip, and then finish with a strike or kick. Yellow has 4, and orange has 5. Some of them are assisted, where we strike the hand that is gripping us, and then use that to facilitate the breakaway. All of these at this point come from a same-side wrist grab.

Yellow belt has two same side wrist grab defenses. One is an undergrab of the attacking hand, then twisting it into a takedown. The other is an outside wrist takedown, known as kote goshi in other grappling styles. Orange belt has 3 more same side defenses. One is a variant of the first yellow belt technique, in which after the undergrab, we jam the opponent's elbow into their own body, and then drag them out to take them down. Another is an arm bar to takedown, and another is a wrist control takedown. We then get into cross grabs of the wrist, with 3 defenses against those. One is another armbar variant, one is an elbow break over the shoulder, then into a four-direction throw (shio nage), and then an elbow lock up.

10-28-08

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. Basics were changed up tonight, which was nice. We also did the double punch, round kick, spin crescent, spin heel kick combo. It was rough on me, but I got to work on my spin heel kick, making sure my body alignment stayed good. No sparring, but got some good drilling in.

today-

3, 2 min rounds on the mitts, worked on trapping for entry to combos

3, 2 min rounds on the shield, focused on crashing the distance gap to knee

20 min instructional/drillling block on side mount control

6, 3 min rounds of free roll

3, 3 min rounds of free sparring

. . . two same side wrist grab defenses. One is an undergrab of the attacking hand, then twisting it into a takedown. The other is an outside wrist takedown, known as kote goshi in other grappling styles. Orange belt has 3 more same side defenses. One is a variant of the first yellow belt technique, in which after the undergrab, we jam the opponent's elbow into their own body, and then drag them out to take them down. Another is an arm bar to takedown, and another is a wrist control takedown. We then get into cross grabs of the wrist, with 3 defenses against those. One is another armbar variant, one is an elbow break over the shoulder, then into a four-direction throw (shio nage), and then an elbow lock up.

I've been introduced so far to four same-side and four cross-grip wrist seizes to defend against, and I've noted that in every one of these, the seized wrist is in the "down" position; there have been no seizes against your hand and wrist being in the "up" position, which can be just as common (more so?) than with the wrist "down."

With all these wrist defenses, Brian, do you defend both "up" and "down," or all in the "down" position?

Edited by joesteph

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

With all these wrist defenses, Brian, do you defend both "up" and "down," or all in the "down" position?

Hey Joe. You're going to have to elaborate a bit more on the up and down positions. If you can clarify, then I might be able to shed some light on the subject.