• advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

10-13-08

Chest/triceps

Bench press: 205x8, 215x4, 225x3

Triceps push-down: 105x10, 120x6, 6

Back/biceps

Assisted pull-ups: plate 9x6, plate 8x4. These two sets were wide grip. plate 8x4, close grip. I notice the difference in the grips; close is easier for me.

Barbell curls: 75x10, 80x8, 85x4

Abs

Decline crunches: 2x20

Legs

One-leg press: 50x10, 85x10, 100x10

Combat Hapkido: 10:15 - 11:15. Worked on yellow belt and red belt curriculum today. We also did some work on BOB. We did some forearm strikes into the neck mainly, from different angles. Some straight in, and some from the sides. Then, using BOB as a target, I would reach around and do a wrist grab to my partner, who would then perform a distraction and breakaway, or breakaway and then a finishing strike. The idea was to get into the habit of not pulling the distractions or the finishes. I also did some Boxing on BOB, and it is a lot different, hitting that face, then it is hitting just a bag. I also worked on some of my breakfalls and rolls for Aikido.

Kicks on the floor

Side kick: 3x10 each leg

Round kick: 3x10 each leg

Then did a little stretching. I don't think my hips will be thanking me later.

Aikitaisos

Irimi: 20 each side

Tenkan: 20 each side

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At home:

Leg stretches

Leg raises

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro

Class at night with my sons. :karate: Assigned to work with them one at a time on their learning Pyung Ahn Cho Dan. A good class. :D

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

10-14-08

Boy, was I sore after lifting yesterday. My arms are screaming at me.

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. We didn't get to do any sparring today, but I got a lot of review on white belt one-steps. After the class was over, the instructor pulled the black belts out for a little drill as the remainder of the students departed. He attacked us from overhead with a blocker, first with the soft part, and then with the hard handle, to see how we would attempt to block. I made an effort to step inside and get the wrist or arm on both, as opposed to blocking the paddle with my arm, because I kind of figured out what he was getting at. He also attacked us with a knife, and we discussed some tactics to try against a knife attack. It was a nice drill, and I suggested that we get to do more of it, too.

Today, well, it's back to working out after a day and a half of construction. Got a wall knocked out of the basement and a couple of walles padded. It really helped get us some more room.

As for the workout...

30 min of mitt work. 3 min rounds, 30 sec rest in between. Started with combos, continued building progression to closing distance with kicks to the combos. Counter shot after mits, followed by pushing off for distace and ending with a kick.

20 min of instructional phase. Work one group on attack series form the guard followed by serpentine arm bar. Other group on sweeps series, actaully got some reps in myself.

Finished with 35 min of free roll. 3 min rounds, 30 sec rest. One bout to sit out after 3, then right back to it.

At home:

Leg stretches

WaveMaster:

- front swing kicks

- front kicks, both lead and rear leg

- crescent kicks using bag clapper

- axe kicks (I don't kick high enough, but we have to do them in class)

- roundhouses, with and without step

- roundhouses using shin for impact

- side kicks, with and without step

- back kicks, non-spinning/donkey-style

Class at night with my sons :karate: :karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Today-

crossfit

7 rounds for time of:

21 standing shoulder presses, 75 lbs.

21 back extensions

chest/tris

At home:

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro (first half)

Class tonight, assistant instructor teaching:

Some work as a class; other work as two groups, higher and lower belts, with higher belts concentrating on one-step sparring under a first dan, and lower belts receiving more individual attention (fine-tuning) from the assistant instructor

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

10-16-08

Aikitaisos:

Elbow Power I (Hiriki no yosei ichi): 10 each side.

Irimi: at least 10 each side.

In reading a few Aikido books, I have tried to work from the stance that they show, which is a bit ackward, as we have not done any formal stance training in the Aikido classes so far. I'll keep working on it, though. I'll also ask about the stance (kamae) when I go to class next.

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. The instructor really dropped one on me tonight. During basics, we spent a little time on our side kicks. In basics, we take a sitting stance (or horse stance), cross the back leg in front of the front leg to advance, and then chamber and side kick. This is a tougher way to kick, but forces the students to focus on turning the hips over and getting the leg tight for the side kick. It almost gives it a back kick feel. Well, he told the class not to watch me, because I tend to cheat my chamber a bit. He said I do a good job of pivoting my base leg foot, which helps me get my hips turned over, so its still a side kick, but just a bit shorter.

So, I hit him up about it after class. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't rude to me, but he was using me as an example, just not the one I would like to be. But, I can work on it. Its tough for me to really get turned over with the chamber though, because my legs are rather thick (not necessarily muscled, but thick). So, when I do the turn over, it ends up making my side kick a one-two motion, and not a smooth kicking motion, like I like it to be. I will work on it, but my body doesn't like it too much yet.

Now for sparring. I decided to try something a bit different. Instead of squaring up as much, I decided to go with a bit of Bill Wallace strategy. I took a side on sitting stance, and worked front leg side kicks a lot. I'll also work on front leg hook and round kicks, too. I can also spin and counter more easily, too. Maybe I'll get to use my spin hook or heel kick more. I did get some good side kicks on one of the black belts, though. They pushed him back quite a ways.

At home:

Leg stretches

BOB:

- jabs, crosses, uppercuts, hooks; individually and in combination

- open and closed hand strikes other than the above

- elbow strikes

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro (first half)

Class at night, concentration on working with a partner:

- body shielding targets (elbow and kicking strikes)

- blocking by redirecting punches

- one-step sparring

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu