• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, another two-a-day.

chest/tris

You're in law enforcement, aren't you, Tallgeese? Do you have a schedule that is flexible for a split training (as in twice-a-day) routine, or is it that you just get up early to get it in?

There was a bodybuilding routine that was popular back in the 1960s, to work certain muscles in the morning, then others in the late afternoon. It was for professionals, of course, who could afford to have a schedule that permitted sufficient recuperation time.

I wonder if this works in the martial arts--or would it be overtraining if you're not a pro?

:-?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Class tonight:

Concentration on kicking practice, including introduction to jumping inside-outside kick, but I was permitted to do a hopping forward one, as was my kicking practice partner.

Expansion of steps for new hyung, Chil Sung E Ro.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Yes, I am in law enforcement. My schedule isn't really flexable enough to ever count on being able to get two in per day. I suppose I could if I were dedicated enough, but I have family commitments too.

If I get two in, it's usually on a day that I'm off. Now, because of the way my days off rotate, sometimes this falls on days when my wife works and the kids are at the sitters. Then I can sneak in two. Usually, however, I only do this if I've missed a workout ealier in the week or if I feel like I need to make up something. For instance, this week, I've been on the mat quite a bit, but because of that, I haven't got to hit the weights as much. So given the chance today, I got one in.

It does help that I"m set up pretty well at home as far as equipment goes. So it does make it easier to sneak in the odd weight workout. I also use crossfit as a conditionng program and it has the benifit of being a shorter time span activity (just with higher intensity) so I get freed up a bit quicker.

I think splits do work very well for the ma's. You just have to be smart about where you're putting your intensity on any give day. Time management also become critical. I used it quite a bit when I was competitive (but that was two childern ago). I'd typically do either a hard conditionng session in the am, then a lighter ma workout at night or vice versa. The conditioning would range from running, or weights, to some for of cals. Ma work would go from mits to grappling to any number sparring drills or bag work. You can mix and match to suit your needs. Of course, I was also 10 years younger and recovered quite a bit quicker too. Now, it'd be tought to go in a do that.

So, I guess if you can manage the time I'd say go for it. Just be smart about pushing too hard and get loads of rest (something else that is harder to come by with a couple of kids in the house). If you're just training for sd purposes, it would probibly be overkill. Not a bad way to incerease skill quickly, but overkill just the same.

Leg stretches

Kicking exercises:

- Front leg swing kicks

- Front snap kicks, lead leg and rear leg

- Inside-Outside crescents against a bag clapper

- Outside-Inside crescents against a bag clapper

- Roundhouses with instep, with and without step

- Roundhouses with shin

- Side kicks, with and without step

- Back kicks (donkey kind, not spinning)

One-step sparring techniques (1-6) against the WaveMaster, and using the bag clapper

Several practice runs of the first third of the new hyung, Chil Sung E Ro (introduced to it this past week)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Sunday, October 12:

AM: Leg stretches, sixty leg raises, shadow boxing on & off for several minutes--concentrating on footwork

PM:

Sparring with BOB:

- long session of jabs, uppercuts, and hooks

- palmheel, knife hand, ridge hand, and elbow strikes

- knee strikes ag. BOB not as good as ag. WaveMaster

BOB as focus for self-defense techniques

Ki Cho Hyungs--Il, E, and Sam Bu

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

First half of Chil Sung E Ro--3X

Shadow boxing for a few minutes--concentrating on footwork

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

10-11-08

Kicks on the floor:

Side kick: 15 each leg

Round kick: 15 each leg

Push-ups: 2x20

We were out of town, staying in a hotel room, so I got this little time in. This week really killed me.

Free roll for 1 hour. 2 or 3 min rounds, with a three man rotation. In for two out for one.

Then we started pulling a wall down in my basment workout space to expand. Got most of that done as well. MOre room, yeah!