• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

10-4-08

Aikido class: 10:00 - 12:00. Good class today. There were only 3 students, counting me, so I got to see a lot, and get some one on one going. We went through all of the Aikitaisos, and I took away 2 of them that I am going to focus on during the week. The techniques that we worked on were similar to what I did the prior class, so I was able to build on some basics, which was good for me.

This class finished with jari-waza, I think it was called, which was kind of like a limited randori exercise. I did alright, but will need to work on it.

Edited by bushido_man96

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today-

6, 2 min rounds of mitt work, combos to sprawl to choke progressively.

worked on escape from the mount series to full guard and attack chain from there- 20 min

6, 3 min rounds of free roll

1, 4 man round robin for our guy who's competing (two of these were me)

3, 3 min rounds of sparring mma focus

Today our warmup in class was very small. We did some side kicks before stretching and I nearly pulled something, I could feel it. :(

Luckily I was able to tone it down but keep my kicks about chest level without tearing or pulling anything. I think I was lucky I wasn't going full bore. :o

Before class with my sons, at the dojang:

Ki Cho Hyung Il Bu

Ki Cho Hyung E Bu

Class with the boys, assisting the instructor, mostly working on takedowns with them.

After class, with the next class's members watching: My first board break, done with the elbow, with my sons there to watch Dad do the final leg of testing for promotion. (Brought the board home as a souvenir.)

:D

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

crossfit, modified-

3 rounds of (with 95 lbs) for time:

deadlift- 15 reps

hang power cleans- 12 reps

front squat- 9 reps

push jerks- 6 reps

After class, with the next class's members watching: My first board break, done with the elbow, with my sons there to watch Dad do the final leg of testing for promotion. (Brought the board home as a souvenir.)

:D

Congrats on your first board break! Its quite fun, isn't it? There aren't many things more satisfying than hearing the crack of that wood.

10-6-08

Pull-ups: 2 partial, then 2 assisted, then 4 assisted, at a lower setting on the machine. I have noticed a difference when I use a grip that isn't so wide.

Push-ups: 20

Defensive Tactics: 10:15 - 11:30. We had a pretty good session here today. We started with doing forearms strikes on BOB. Then we worked into doing statue drills with forearms strikes. Block-Pass-Pin drills came next, then Block-Pass-Pin with inserts, with the inserts consisting of some forearm strikes. The next drill was the forearm clothesline, done against a roundhouse punch, and then a straight punch. Block-Pass was used to defend the punches, along with a motion we do in Aikido called "irimi," in which we would do basically a steal-step to get behind the attacker, and then we drive the forearm through their body at a downward angle. A reap or trip is optional. We then moved on to a head-twist takedown. We used the same "irimi" motion to get past the punch, but instead of closthelining, we would get behind the attacker, seize the chin and head, and then twist to a takedown, lying the attacker flat on their belly to then cuff or whatever. We then worked a variation where we pulled the attacker back onto our bent front leg (like resting them on the front leg of a front stance). Then we applied an attack to the arms, like turning a steering wheel, which would twist them over onto their belly again, where we could control and cuff. This last option would allow us to control one of the arms when the attacker ended up on their face, which is good for cuffing, etc.

This module that we did had a good sense of flow to it, and started with the forearm strikes, and stayed with the forearm theme for the most part. I think that using the forearms as attacking tools is often overlooked, and it is a great tool for combat, especially as a gross motor skill.

Later in the day...

Side kicks lying on the floor: 3x10 on each side.

10-7-08

Park:

Pull-ups: 8 total, and the first 2 were close to being full.

Today-

4, 2 min rounds of mitt work

4, 2 min rounds of kick work, cover to knees, to takedowns as counter

25 min instructional phase of mount pass to guard to kimura series

30 min of free roll rounds, 3 min

4 man round robin to finish

10-8-08

Aikitaisos

Irimi motion: 40, 20 on each side.

Tenkan: 40, 20 on each side.

Austrailian push-ups: 2x10. These really worked my biceps.

Stretching before going to class

Class tonight:

Ki Cho Hyung Il Bu

Ki Cho Hyung E Bu

Ki Cho Hyung Sam Bu

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

--practiced on dojang floor before class

During class:

Sparring combinations

Sparring

Self-defense techniques

Introduction to first moves of new hyung, Chil Sung E Ro

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

This week kind of sucks for me. I have so much stuff going on that I haven't been able to make it to a class, and I'll be out of town this weekend, so I won't get to Aikido class, either.

I guess I'll have to take some solo time...